WayForward could be working on a new game in a “historic shooter property”
by Danny Craig ·
Shantae developer WayForward is potentially working on an unannounced new game in a "history shooter property," which some suspect to be Contra.
- Famiboards user lolvongola noticed that Glenn Seidel's LinkedIn profile, who appears to be either a former or current director at the company, states that he had worked on developing "gameplay, meta design, narrative, and characters for a historic shooter property." Nobody knows what the property being referred to is, but many believe it's the upcoming Switch remake of the first two Advance Wars games, Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp, as WayForward was in charge of its development.
- Seidel also states that he had worked on an "unannounced AAA shooter of an existing franchise with four distinct gameplay styles, including Run & Gun, Top Down Shooter, Shmup, and Rail Gun," which has led some to speculate that it could be a new entry in the iconic shoot 'em up Contra franchise. It has been rumored that Konami may be returning to the video game industry, as it is planning to release a remake of Silent Hill 2, and a Metal Gear Solid 3 remake is rumored to be revealed this year, so the series could very well be revived in the near future. WayForward was responsible for the well-received Contra 4 in 2007, so it would make sense for Konami to bring the developer back for another title.
- It's also possible that the game is a collaboration with Nintendo, as WayForward has previously worked with the company on Vitamin Connection and Bakugan: Champions of Vestroia in 2020. Although unlikely, one fan speculated that it could be a new Kid Icarus game, as the series adopted third-person shooter gameplay in 2012 with the release of Kid Icarus: Uprising, but it has lain dormant since, with protagonist Pitt appearing in the Smash Bros. franchise.
More gaming leaks and rumors:
- According to a recent job posting, Mafia 4 may include multiplayer. According to the listing from developer Hangar 13, the studio prefers applicants with "experience with AAA titles, multiplayer games, and/or live game design," implying that some form of live service or multiplayer element may be included in the game.
- A remake of Persona 3 may be in the works, according to Gematsu, with alleged gameplay footage recently leaked. Although the footage has not been confirmed as authentic, many fans believe it is due to the inclusion of rumored Jet Set Radio remake footage as well as what appears to be cut Sonic Frontiers content.
- The Elder Scrolls 6 may include multiplayer functionality, according to a recent job posting. A job listing on Bethesda asks for "strong familiarity with a variety of open-world multiplayer games," as well as "experience with The Elder Scrolls Construction Set," implying that the position could involve working on the upcoming game.