The Elder Scrolls 6 could feature multiplayer according to job listing
by Danny Craig ·
A recent job listing has been spotted at Bethesda Softworks, suggesting that the highly anticipated The Elder Scrolls 6 (TES6) could include some form of multiplayer mode.
- As reported by Tech4Gamers, a new job listing for the position of "Associate Level Designer" at Bethesda has appeared on the company's careers site. Along with the quest and system designer roles, the position is one of several recently posted vacancies based out of its headquarters in Rockville, Maryland or its Austin and Dallas studios in Texas. Fans speculated that the position might be for The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO), but it's worth noting that ESO is developed by ZeniMax Online Studios, not Bethesda Game Studios, implying that the title has nothing to do with ESO or any successor to the MMORPG. The listing also mentions maintaining “legacy content,” which could suggest that it is related to Fallout 76, although this is unconfirmed.
- Fans were drawn to the requirement that a candidate has a "strong familiarity with a variety of open-world multiplayer games," suggesting that Bethesda's next major release may include some form of multiplayer, once again breaking the company's tradition of releasing strictly single-player experiences. The developer attempted to enter the multiplayer space in 2018 with the disastrous launch of Fallout 76, which shipped with numerous issues, lacked humanoid NPCs and other role-playing elements, and was shrouded in pre-order and microtransaction controversies, resulting in a significant hit to the company's reputation. Due to the poor reception of Fallout 76, Bethesda is unlikely to go all-in on multiplayer, instead opting for a smaller co-op mode of some kind.
- Another line in the job description's qualifications section reads, "You have experience with The Elder Scrolls Construction Set or GECK," giving fans even more hope that the position will be working on TES6, which was announced back in 2018 and is expected to be released after Bethesda's new IP, Starfield, which comes out in September. The Elder Scrolls Construction Set and GECK are tools included with Bethesda's mainline TES and Fallout games, respectively, that allow players to create new content or edit existing parts of the game. Surprisingly, the job description makes no mention of the Creation Kit, Skyrim's version of Morrowind, and Oblivion's older Construction Set, though this is most likely an oversight.
More role-playing game news:
- The long-awaited Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster will be released on April 19 for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch, according to Square Enix. The first six mainline titles will have new visuals and gameplay features that will make the games easier or harder depending on which options the player changes.
- According to Gematsu, a remake of Persona 3 may be in the works, with alleged footage of the game recently leaked. Although the footage has not been confirmed as authentic, many fans believe it is genuine due to the inclusion of rumored Jet Set Radio remake footage and what appears to be a clip of cut Sonic Frontiers content.