Epic Games promotes RLCS World Championship in Fortnite
Epic Games has unveiled a unique activation that will see it promote Rocket League esports through its hit title Fortnite.
The tournament: It serves as the culmination of the Rocket League Championship Series' 2021-2022 season.
- The playoffs take place in Fort Worth, U.S., on August 14.
- There are 24 teams competing in the event, fighting for their share of the $2.085M prize purse.
- Organizations such as FaZe Clan, FURIA, G2 Esports, Karmine Corp, NRG, and OpTic Gaming are all still alive in the tournament.
The activation: It's something quite new in esports.
- From August 9-14, Epic Games is promoting the RLCS through Fortnite. (It acquired Rocket League developer Psyonix in May 2019.)
- Players can watch the World Championship in-game and earn in-game rewards during breaks.
- More specifically, after each match there will be a Team Rumble among those watching in Fortnite. There are challenges that, once completed, unlock RLCS-branded items.
- Additionally, players can unlock in-game rewards, including a new theme anthem and banner, in Rocket League.
- It's fair to say that Epic Games is now cross-promoting in full force but it's currently unclear how the viewership impact of the activation will be identified, if at all.