E3 2024 will not be organized by ReedPop, but may still go ahead
The Entertainment Software Association (ESA) and PAX organizer ReedPop have announced that they will not collaborate on future E3 events, but E3 2024 has not been officially canceled.
- Following previous reports that E3 2024 and 2025 may be canceled, the ESA and ReedPop have both confirmed that their partnership has ended (via GamesIndustry.biz). ReedPop stated that it was a "mutual decision" after the two companies signed a multi-year contract to organize the show in 2023.
- The ESA has also informed the Los Angeles Convention Center, which has hosted E3 for the majority of its existence, that the event will not be held there in 2024. Despite this, it has not been confirmed that the show has been canceled entirely, and it may be held at a different location, though this appears unlikely.
- According to GamesIndustry.biz, the ESA is also working on a "complete reinvention" of the 2025 trade show. It's unclear what this involves, but its format could change entirely as it attempts to reclaim its place among other industry events like Summer Game Fest, which was seen as a replacement for the canceled E3 2023.
- E3 2023 was canceled in March after several major publishers and developers, including Microsoft and Nintendo, who had both been regular attendees in the past, backed out for a variety of reasons. Instead, due to lower costs, publishers chose to host their own events or attend the opening night of Summer Game Fest.
More gaming news:
- Microsoft has announced that users will be able to stream gameplay directly to Discord to friends with Xbox's September system update. Nitro subscribers can stream in 1080p 60FPS while free users can only stream in 720p 30FPS.
- Respected Skyrim and Fallout 4 modder Elianora revealed that she had been secretly hired to work on the cluttered environments in Starfield, which have been well-received by fans. She pretended to be surprised by many of the game's showcases, including examples of her own work, to avoid revealing that she was working on the title.