Elden Ring’s first DLC is now in development
by Danny Craig ·
The first expansion for FromSoftware’s Elden Ring, Shadow of the Erdtree, has now been confirmed by the studio as being in development.
- On February 28, a tweet from the official Elden Ring Twitter account, as well as a blog post, confirmed that the expansion, titled "Shadow of the Erdtree," was now in development. The announcement is accompanied by an image that has already sparked speculation among fans as to who is riding what is assumed to be Torrent, a mount from the base game.
- Although FromSoftware has not yet revealed any details about the expansion's contents, we can expect it to include entirely new areas, weapons, armor, items, and enemies similar to those found in previous Souls games. It's also unclear when this DLC takes place, as the image does not appear to show the destruction found in The Lands Between throughout the base game, possibly implying a prequel story or that it takes place after one of the game's six endings.
- There are no details on the DLC's release date or how far along the project is in development, but we do know from the blog post that it will be available on all platforms where the base game can be played, including the Xbox One and Series X/S, PlayStation 4 and 5, and Steam.
What do we know about FromSoftware’s next title?
- FromSoftware’s next release will be Armored Core VI, the first entry in the mecha combat series after 10 years. The game is planned to release sometime in 2023 across current and last-generation platforms as well as PC.
- In an interview with IGN, company president Hidetaka Miyazaki and game director Masaru Yamamura stated that the development team purposefully avoided going in a “Soulsbourne” direction throughout production as the studio has almost exclusively released titles within the genre since 2013.