Elder Scrolls Online developer ZeniMax could be working on a multi-platform action RPG
It appears that ZeniMax Online Studios’ upcoming MMO IP could be an open-world RPG that will be released across all major platforms, according to a handful of job listings.
- As spotted by Gamesual, multiple listings at ZeniMax hint that its latest IP could be a third-person action RPG set in an open-world environment. The new IP has reportedly been in development for four years and is being built on a "new engine," which some believe to possibly be Unreal Engine.
- The description for Lead Gameplay Engineer (Combat) mentions that the studio is looking for applicants with "experience with AI in an open world game client/server architecture" and "experience developing for multiple platforms (Windows, Xbox, PlayStation)," suggesting that the MMO could have a similar structure to The Elder Scrolls Online (ESO), releasing on all major platforms, although it's unknown if it will include crossplay unlike ESO.
- It seems that the game is likely to have a strong focus on its narrative, as the listing for a Lead Content Producer mentions that candidates must have "experience and familiarity producing and working with level design, narrative, cinematics, encounters, worldbuilding, and mission/quest teams." Again, this is very similar to ESO, which has been praised for its high-quality writing similar to that of a mainline Elder Scrolls title.
- The last job listing for a Lead Technical Designer asks for those applying to have "familiarity with third-person action or roleplaying games," but it's unknown if it will include any form of first-person gameplay like other ZeniMax/Bethesda games.
More upcoming games:
- Wolfenstein developer MachineGames is hard at work on a new first-person shooter, which many believe will be Wolfenstein 3. A job posting at the studio requests that applicants have prior experience with the developer's titles, with the majority of its catalog consisting of Wolfenstein games.
- Microsoft may have hinted that a new Psychonauts game is in the works and that it will be revealed at the Xbox Summer Showcase in June. The Australian Twitter account of the gaming giant posted a tweet containing letters that spell out "PSYCHO XXX" inside a naughts and crosses grid, implying that a third entry is on the way.