X1 Esports completes acquisition of Octane.GG for $35K
X1 Esports and Entertainment has closed on the acquisition of Rocket League publication Octane.GG.
The acquisition: It was initially announced on September 15.
- X1 Esports is paying $35K in cash for the company.
- Two unnamed individuals previously connected with Octane.GG have now been hired as consultants to continue working on the publication.
- Perhaps the most valuable aspect of the media company is its data. It's been collecting statistics for games, players, and teams, since 2017, making it a prominent destination for competitive Rocket League information.
The strategy: Rocket League appears to be a priority for the holding company.
- X1 Esports clearly sees promise in the future of the game, having acquired Rocket League community ShiftRLE in August 2022.
- Octane.GG will be merged into ShiftRLE to create a "new destination for Rocket League fans," though specific details on the combined entity have not been disclosed at the time of publication.
- This is the third acquisition for X1 since it became a public company. In July it entered a definitive agreement to acquire talent management firm Tyrus Talent Services for $350K. Its portfolio also includes esports team brand Rix.GG.