The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom has sold 10 million copies in three days
by Danny Craig ·
In less than a week following its release, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (TOTK) has become the fastest-selling Zelda game of all time, breaking 10 million sales.
- TOTK has officially sold 10 million units worldwide, making it the franchise's fastest-selling title in its 37-year history, according to Nintendo. The announcement also confirms that the sequel to Breath of the Wild (BOTW) is the series' second-best-selling game, trailing only BOTW itself.
- BOTW still has the most sales, with almost 30 million units sold since its release in 2017, with sales accelerating slightly in the lead-up to TOTK's release. The game is expected to break even more records in the coming months as more Switch owners get their hands on it. It may outsell its predecessor, but it is unlikely to become the Switch's best seller, as Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has sold 53 million units.
- TOTK has received critical acclaim, with fans praising the game for expanding on the open-world gameplay and story of BOTW. The game currently has a 97 average on review aggregate OpenCritic, making it the highest-rated game on the site; however, user reviews on Metacritic are a bit more critical, with players criticizing the game for being too similar to BOTW, with a combined review score of 8.7.
More Nintendo news:
- Nintendo Switch Online’s free-to-play battle royale, Pac-Man 99, will be shutting down beginning in August 2023. The game’s DLC content will be delisted first, with the online servers for the title being shut down in October. It will remain playable offline for those who owned the game before the shutdown date.
- Following the massive success of The Super Mario Bros. movie, TOTK's producer Eiji Aonuma and game director Hidemaro Fujibayashi recently stated in an interview that they were "interested" in a potential Zelda film, but made it clear that their interest does not indicate that a film is currently or will be produced.