Riot Games to solidify presence in Asia Pacific
by Adam Fitch ·
American video game developer and publisher Riot Games is planning to bolster its business operations by solidifying its presence in the Asia Pacific region.
The expansion: Riot Games already had a presence in Southeast Asia but its plans indicate a real commitment to the wider region.
- The developer behind League of Legends, Wild Rift, VALORANT, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra already has offices in Japan and Singapore.
- The expansion will see Riot open publishing offices in India, Malaysia, the Philippines, and Thailand. Alex Kraynov, its former Managing Director of Emerging Markets, will head up the expansion as Managing Director for APAC.
- The move is part of an apparent reorganization which the developer sees as a diversification of its business model, comprising of the following pillars: games, esports, enterprise, entertainment, and publishing.
New ventures: Riot has expanded into fashion, music, and television in recent years but it's clear there's plenty more on the horizon.
- Riot Games currently has 516 open roles on Hitmarker at the time of publication, though this expansion will surely result in plenty of additional opportunities.
- Riot has made a name for itself outside of developing and publishing games partially through its music initiatives, having released royalty-free music and established virtual bands such as K/DA and Pentakill.
- Arcane, an original Netflix animating series, had the highest score on IDMB of any Netflix-native series to date as of December 2021. Riot's IP has also been utilized to expand into fashion in collaboration with brands such as Louis Vuitton and Uniqlo.