Hangar 13 lays off staff across three regions
by Adam Fitch ·
The layoffs: The news quickly follows the resignation of former President and Chief Commercial Officer Haden Blackman.
- As first reported by Kotaku and later confirmed by 2K, close to 50 of the 87 staff members at its Novato, California branch have been affected by the layoffs.
- Hangar 13 also has staff in England and Cezch but it's unclear how many employees were part of this round of reduncancies at the time of reporting."
- "These decisions are always difficult," a spokesperson told Kotaku. "We are doing all we can to work with the impacted employees to find them new roles on other projects and teams at 2K, and are providing full support to those who cannot be redeployed."
The history: This isn't the first round of layoffs to hit the 2K-owned studio.
- Hangar 13 laid off staff in both 2017 and 2018, and cancelled much of its upcoming projects.
- The studio is ultimately owned by Take-Two Interactive, which just acquired FarmVille developer Zynga for $12.7B, and it's reported that Hangar 13 developers are often moved around from different projects spanning multiple Take-Two studios.
- Despite the need to cut back dramatically on staff, Hangar 13 currently has six job opportunities listed on Hitmarker.