Galaxy Racer sponsors Canadian national cricket team
In a strange twist, Dubai-based esports organization Galaxy Racer has sponsored the national cricket team of Canada.
The basics: The context of the deal is what makes it unusual.
- The organization operates Nigma Galaxy, its competitive arm that has teams in Dota 2, VALORANT, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Free Fire, PUBG Mobile, Fortnite, Wild Rift, and League of Legends.
- Galaxy Racer is based in the United Arab Emirates and considers itself the "biggest competitive gaming team" in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, though it also has a presence in Southeast Asia.
- While Galaxy Racer doesn't have any competitive presence in sports, it established a content partnership with Spanish football league LaLiga in August 2021. The deal was made in an effort to help the competition access a younger demographic, one that's flocking to gaming and esports.
The sponsorship: The alliance is different from others between sports and esports teams.
- The Canadian national team is gearing up to compete in a world cup qualifier in Twenty20 (T20), a condensed format of cricket, debuting against the Philippines on February 18.
- Galaxy Racer is serving as the 'leading arm sponsor' of the men's national cricket team, with its logo appearing on the official competition jersey and warm-up kits throughout the qualifier.
- Deals between teams in sports and esports are typically formed as a means of allowing sports entities to advertise themselves to gaming and esports' younger audience, in hopes of securing new long-term viewers.
- "Our players are avid gamers and compete almost daily in their free time on gaming consoles and platforms," said Cricket Canada President, Rashpal Bajwa. He noted that esports is a "fast-growing industry" in North America and so the sponsorship is a "natural fit for cricket."