Just Cause developer Avalanche Software opens a new studio in Canada
Avalanche Software has announced that it is opening a new office in Montreal, Canada, marking the company’s fifth location.
- Avalanche revealed in a new press release that the new studio follows the company's acquisition of Montreal-based studio Monster Closet, which was founded in 2021 by veteran developers who previously worked together at Ubisoft. Avalanche is currently headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, and has offices in Malmö, New York, and Liverpool.
- Former Monster Closet CEO Graeme Jennings will lead the new studio, which will work on current and future Avalanche IPs. Former Monster Closet developers have also been integrated into Avalanche Studios, Systemic Reaction, and Expansive Worlds, the company's creative teams. The employees previously worked on titles in the Halo, Assassin's Creed, and Far Cry franchises before joining the studio.
- Avalanche Studios Group, which is celebrating its 20th anniversary, is best known for the Just Cause series, but it has also released a Mad Max video game adaptation, theHunter, and is currently working on Contraband. Avalanche Studios also collaborated with id Software on Rage 2 in 2019.
More gaming news:
- Microsoft has completed its acquisition of Activision Blizzard, bringing the industry's largest deal to a close. This means that classic franchises like Crash Bandicoot, Warcraft, and others could become exclusive to Xbox, while Call of Duty will remain on Nintendo and PlayStation for at least another decade.
- Mojang has revealed that Minecraft has sold 300 million copies since its initial release in 2009. The game is the best-selling game in history, outselling Grand Theft Auto V by more than 100 million units.