Amazon is working on a new AAA live-service title
by Danny Craig ·
A recent job listing has been spotted at the e-commerce giant’s gaming division, which suggests that it is working on an unannounced live service game.
- A new job listing for the role of "Creative Director" at Amazon Games has appeared on the company's careers site, as spotted by Exputer. The position is based in the developer's San Diego studio, which was previously led by EverQuest developer and former Daybreak executive John Smedley until his departure in January 2023. Amazon Games San Diego has yet to release any internally developed games, with many projects shelved during Smedley's six years at the studio.
- Anyone interested in the position must have prior experience leading a team that designs "AAA products for both PC and console," implying that the upcoming title will be multiplatform. It's assumed that the project is still in very early pre-production, as a creative director is usually one of the first positions hired for in a project because they're in charge of key design decisions within the title.
- The game's genre is currently unknown, as the job description only mentions that experience working on "solo, multiplayer, and online games" is preferred. A basic qualification is "extensive" experience working on "live products and Games as a Service (GaaS)," indicating a live service model that is becoming increasingly popular in the industry.
More news about upcoming games:
- A job posting has confirmed the existence of a new Gears of War title. The Coalition's job listing for "Senior Gameplay Designer" was discovered on Microsoft's career site last week, confirming rumors of a new game. While it has not been explicitly stated, it is widely assumed that the project is Gears of War 6, following reports of The Coalition's side projects being canceled as a result of recent layoffs.
- Rockstar's Grand Theft Auto 6 is reportedly aiming for a holiday 2024 release date, with executives unwilling to provide any additional development time. To meet the deadline, it has been reported that some content may need to be cut from the game and released as DLC at a later date, though the extent of this has not been revealed.