Treyarch’s 2025 Call of Duty title will reportedly include remastered Black Ops 2 maps
According to multiple leakers, Treyarch's 2025 Call of Duty entry will be similar to the upcoming Modern Warfare III in that it will feature a map pool comprised of maps from fan-favorite Black Ops 2.
- According to Twitter leaker @el_bobberto, the current plans for COD 2025 appear to be to release remasters of older maps from Black Ops 2, similar to how MW3's map pool will be a full remastering of 2009's MW2's maps. They also stated that it is "very likely to change within the next 2 years," if Activision takes a different approach.
- Another reliable insider, @TheMW2Ghost, quoted the original tweet and stated that they had heard similar rumors about the game's map selection. It's unclear how many maps from Black Ops 2 will return if Activision decides to go ahead with the idea, but it's most likely the 14 base game maps that were available when the original title was released in 2012.
- So far, fan reaction to the remastering of maps for MW3 has been positive, despite many fan criticisms of its multiplayer map designs in recent years, even though they're reportedly being updated to add doors and other new mechanics. However, unlike Infinity Ward, Treyarch has remastered many of its best maps in the past for more recent releases such as Black Ops: Cold War, potentially leading to its map pool becoming stale shortly after launch.
More gaming news:
- Nintendo reportedly showed its new console to developers behind closed doors at Gamescom 2023, with the system powerful enough to run Epic's The Matrix Awakens demo, which was previously used to demonstrate the power of the PS5 and Xbox Series X/S.
- The next Mass Effect will reportedly abandon the open-world design of Mass Effect Andromeda and return to the series' original linear narrative style, according to sources. The game is still in pre-production, so this may change in the future, but the poor reception of Andromeda is likely to have played a role in the decision.