Unity to merge with ironSource

by Adam Fitch  · 
Unity to merge with ironSource

Unity, a software developer focused on game engines, has entered an agreement to merge with business platform ironSource.

The acquisition: It's expected to close in Q4.

  • Should the all-stock deal go through, ironSource will be valued at $4.4B.
  • ironSource will operate as a subsidiary of Unity. The former's current shareholders will own 26.5% of the merged entity, with the latter's current owners holding the remaining 73.5%.
  • In an official announcement, it's revealed that the combined company expects to generate a run rate of $1B in Adjusted EBITDA by the end of 2024. Unity is already expanding aggressively as is with 296 listed open roles on Hitmarker at the time of publication.

But why? The gaming and tech landscape has been rife with mergers and acquisitions in 2022.

  • It's no surprise that gaming and technology companies are being hit, like businesses in almost every sector, by the current economic landscape.
  • While Unity and ironSource operate in different areas, they're both public companies and have undoubtedly been negatively affected financially in recent months. Bringing together Unity's software development and ironSource's app monetization, the leadership of both companies must believe that this move could ease some of the strain they're facing.
  • "Beyond our platform, we expect the combination of our business with ironSource to transform Unity’s financial profile to that of a highly profitable and free cash flow positive company," said Unity Chief Financial Officer, Luis Visoso.
Latest News