Metal Gear Solid 3 remake and new Castlevania rumored to be revealed at E3
by Danny Craig ·
A remake of the classic third Metal Gear Solid (MGS) title will reportedly be announced by Konami at E3 alongside a new Castlevania.
- According to Andy Robinson on the VGC Podcast, Konami will have a "pretty big E3," with a brand new Castlevania game to be revealed, as well as the long-awaited remake of 2004’s MGS 3: Snake Eater. Remakes of older MGS titles have been rumored for years, with the MGS 3 remake being reported on back in 2021 when it was still in early development. Robinson has since claimed on Twitter that the game is being targeted for a 2024 release, with rereleases of other MGS games being discussed internally.
- Following 2014's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 2, which received mixed reviews from both fans and critics, the Castlevania series went on hiatus. Since then, we’ve seen an animated series from Netflix, characters from the series appearing in other gaming properties, and the recently released Return to Castlevania expansion for Dead Cells, but no new mainline entry has been released. It's unclear whether the new game will feature the 3D gameplay of more recent releases or if Konami will stick with the traditional 2D style used for its more iconic entries, considering side-scrolling games have made a strong comeback in recent years.
- Konami seems to be banking on the success of remakes of its older, beloved games in its signature franchises, as Metal Gear Survive, the first game without the direction of series creator Hideo Kojima, was universally panned and performed poorly in terms of commercial success. Since then, the publisher has enlisted the help of Bloober Team to create a remake of Silent Hill 2 and is now working on MGS remakes, suggesting that it is attempting to capitalize on its properties with fanbases. Although many are hyped for the games, some are skeptical or even completely against the move, with Silent Hill series writer Sam Barlow referring to the second game’s remake as a "poisoned chalice.”
Other recent rumors and speculation:
- Left 4 Dead 3 references were discovered in Counter-Strike 2’s files. This isn't the first time one of Valve's recent titles has alluded to the rumored title; Half Life Alyx's workshop tools contained similar code. The project was confirmed to have been in development early in Source 2's life, but was shelved due to the engine's inability to handle the open-world setting with the zombie density that the development team was aiming for.
- Cult classic GameCube racing game, F-Zero GX, could be getting a remaster shortly. The remaster is reportedly in development at Next Level Games, best known for its work on the Luigi’s Mansion franchise starting with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon. The F-Zero franchise has been inactive for almost two decades, with series protagonist Captain Falcon continuing to appear in Nintendo’s Smash Bros. games.