Bungie announces a new multiplayer Marathon game
by Danny Craig ·
Bungie has unveiled a reboot of its pre-Halo-era Marathon franchise as a PvP extraction shooter.
- With a reveal trailer at PlayStation Showcase, Bungie announced its first non-Destiny-related project in over a decade: a reboot of the Marathon franchise. The title, according to Game Director Christopher Barrett, will not be a direct sequel to the original trilogy from the 90s, but rather a reboot within the "same universe." Barrett stated that Bungie has a "tremendous amount of respect" for the original titles and wished to "honor" the stories and themes of the games through references and deep cuts in the new release.
- Barrett also confirmed that there will be no single-player campaign, with Bungie instead focusing on multiplayer PvP and making the game an extraction shooter. Despite being an old-school shooter, the original Marathon is known for having a strong narrative, and this time, the studio is focusing on "player-based storytelling," which is the idea that players will create their own experiences within the game as they fight for loot from other players and AI.
- The trailer provided no information about the project's release date, and General Manager Scott Taylor stated that there is "still a lot of work to do" before we hear anything else about it. Taylor was unable to provide a timeline, but did say that the next time we hear anything about the game, we'll be able to see some gameplay and be "much closer" to its official release.
- Taylor also stated that Bungie is currently hiring for the project. If you want to work on Marathon, you can find open positions on the project here.
More upcoming games:
- The remake of Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, titled Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater, has been revealed after years of speculation. The game will be released on PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S, and PC, with its release date currently unknown. Konami is also releasing a collection of ports of the first three Metal Gear Solid titles for modern platforms in autumn 2023.
- Following a series of teasers, NetherRealm has officially confirmed that the next Mortal Kombat game will be called "Mortal Kombat 1" and will be released in September. The roster of the game will include both classic series characters and "Kameo characters" who will assist the player during gameplay.