Theorycraft Games raises $50M
by Adam Fitch ·
Independent game studio Theorycraft Games has raised $50M in its Series B funding round.
The funding: It was announced on September 22.
- Theorycraft has raised $50M in its Series B round, one year after raising $37.5M in its Series A.
- The studio will use the capital to develop its first title, codenamed Loki, as well as hiring more employees.
- This round was led by Makers Fund and featured contributions from a16z and NEA.
The company: In a time when companies are scaling back their operations, why are investors betting big on Theorycraft Games?
- Theorycraft was founded in 2020 by a collection of experienced workers from across the games industry with résumés including Activision Blizzard, Bungie, Riot Games, and Valve.
- The studio's mission is ambitious, stating that it aims to make "deep, 10,000 hour games that are just better when played with friends." Its first game has yet to be revealed in any depth to the public.
- Alongside the investment news, it announced that it's hired former Jon Belliss, the former Game Director for League of Legends at Riot Games, as its Executive Producer.
- At the time of publication, the studio is hiring a Game Designer, Level Designer, Combat Designer, Gameplay Engineer, and Outsourcing Supervisor.