Superlumen acquired by Soedesco
Game publisher Soedesco has officially acquired Spanish studio Superlumen.
The acquisition: It's a "long-term strategic decision" for the Netherlands-based publisher.
- Superlumen is a Spanish development studio that specializes in virtual reality.
- It's behind Desolatium, a first-person point and click title based on Lovecraft's Cthulhu Mythos, which is set to be released in the final quarter of 2022.
- Soedesco is the publisher behind titles like Garden Witch Life, Petit Island, Bunny Park, and Among the Sleep.
- It announced that it had opened a Spanish office in April 2022. Now, with the acquisition of Superlumen, it has strengthened its positioning in the nation.
- Soedesco has acquired 100% of the shares in the Spanish studio, though financial terms of the deal have not been disclosed at the time of publication.
The landscape: It's acquisition season.
- By now, most in the gaming industry will be aware of the major acquisitions that have been announced in 2022 so far.
- From Microsoft's prospective $69B acquisition of Activision Blizzard to Sony buying Bungie for $3.6B, major companies have been splashing the cash to capture more of the market.
- However, it's worth noting that the economic downturn may well slow down this trend for the foreseeable future. Most, if not all, companies are preparing to weather the storm — this includes major layoffs in some cases.