Respawn’s new Star Wars FPS could include multiplayer
A job listing posted by EA’s Respawn Entertainment hints that its upcoming Star War-themed first-person shooter could include multiplayer.
- Titanfall developer Respawn is seeking a Senior Gameplay Software Engineer specializing in C++ to work on its upcoming Star Wars FPS.
- The listing itself doesn't appear to be too dissimilar to other gameplay engineer positions; however, the "Desired Qualifications" section of the description states that the studio is looking for someone with "experience working on a multiplayer game," as spotted by Insider Gaming. The listing has since been updated to remove the line, being replaced by a more condensed description.
- Back when the project was originally announced, Peter Hirschmann, the game’s director, said that working on the FPS was a "dream come true" and that it was a "story I have always wanted to tell," leading fans to believe the game was some form of single-player experience featuring a compelling narrative. This could still be the case with multiplayer as an additional PvP mode or some form of co-op PvE.
- Feel like you might be a perfect fit for the role? You can view the full listing here.
What do we know about Respawn’s upcoming Star Wars projects?
- So far, we know that Respawn is working on three Star Wars games, one of which is Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, the sequel to Jedi: Fallen Order, which is scheduled to release in March 2023. The other two titles are the previously mentioned FPS and a strategy game.
- Both the FPS and Jedi: Survivor will be powered by Unreal Engine 5. It's also possible that the strategy game will be built on the engine, as it appears that Respawn is relying entirely on Epic's tools rather than EA's in-house Frostbite engine.
- Bit Reactor, a studio founded in 2021 by veteran developers behind XCOM and Civilization with a focus on the strategy genre, is leading the development of the strategy title. Throughout the game's development cycle, they will collaborate with EA and Respawn.
Does working on one of the upcoming Star Wars projects sound like a dream? Why not make it come true by applying for a job at Respawn Entertainment here?