PlayStation officially acquires Haven Studios
by Adam Fitch ·
Sony's PlayStation has closed its acquisition of Haven Studios.
The acquisition: It's officially official.
- Sony announced its intention to acquire Haven Studios in March 2022, just a couple of months after its $3.6B deal to acquire Bungie.
- While the amount it's costing Sony to buy Bungie made it to the public realm, it's unknown how much it's just acquired Haven Studios for.
- The companies partnered not long after Haven was announced to the public, with Playstation holding a lot of faith in Founder Jade Raymond — a veteran in the games industry with a hand in founding the likes of Assassin's Creed and Watch Dogs.
The decision: So, why has Sony now gone all-in on the studio?
- It's no secret that Sony, through PlayStation, is bullish on the live games services space.
- Like its acquisition of Bungie, this acquisition is undoubtedly a play to bolster its offering in that arena.
- "Jade Raymond brings a wealth of experience from her industry achievements and an infectious passion for creating games, and the leadership team at Haven is an equally impressive group of industry veterans who have collaborated on some of the biggest and most beloved games," said Hermen Hulst, Head of PlayStation Studios, said in an announcement.
- Further on in the announcement, Hulst notes Haven's experience and vision for creating multiplayer games and the creation of new Playstation-owned IP as selling points for the studio.
- "Our first new IP for PlayStation is on track to deliver a AAA multiplayer experience with a vision to build a systemic and evolving world focused on freedom, thrill, and playfulness," said Raymond.