Misfits embraces blockchain gaming with multi-year Tezos deal
Florida-based Misfits Gaming is the latest esports organization to enter the mystical world of the metaverse through a blockchain-focused partnership with Tezos.
The basics: This agreement is another indication that Misfits Gaming is keen on expanding its focus and activities.
- Tezos is an open-source blockchain, a platform that enables peer-to-peer transactions using smart contracts.
- Much like the company's deal with Team Vitality, this partnership will last for multiple years and is the entry point for the esports org to establish a presence in Web3 and perhaps even the 'metaverse.'
- As well as more traditional activations like branding, Misfits and Tezos will work together to launch blockchain gaming platform Block Born and allocate some of the former's $10M gaming incubator towards on-chain products.
- As is almost the rule when an esports company embraces any blockchain or cryptocurrency-related service or product, general fan sentiment has been negative.
The expansion: Misfits Gaming is no longer just an esports organization.
- Misfits launched an agency in May 2021 to connect outside brands with appropriate entities in gaming and esports.
- The company has continued to expand its offering as an entertainment brand, signing prominent Minecraft creators Ranboo and Tubbo in February 2022.
- Its previously-mentioned gaming incubator is a means of identifying and investing in startups in both gaming and esports — as well as blockchain products alongside Tezos now — which strengthens the Misfits Gaming Group portfolio.
- Despite recent developments, Misfits still has a solid presence across several esports titles. It owns long-term or franchise slots in the Call of Duty League, Overwatch League, and Riot Games' LEC.
The blockchain: Misfits has made its plans clear when it comes to utilizing Tezos' technology.
- The Tezos platform will be utilized for Block Born, a new division described as Misfits Gaming Group's "blockchain gaming arm" that aims to support and grow blockchain gaming.
- Such support will take place in the forms of content, tournaments, and signing professionals as the scene grows. All of its tournaments will be carbon neutral, according to the release.
- “Gaming can do a lot better, and blockchain technologies will help get us there,” said Misfits Gaming Group's Executive Vice President of Partnerships, Vas Roberts.