Zack Snyder confirms a Rebel Moon RPG is in development
by Danny Craig ·
Filmmaker Zack Snyder has confirmed that an RPG video game based on the upcoming space opera Rebel Moon is currently in development.
- Snyder discussed his work on the DC universe, the "Snyder cut" of the 2017 Justice League film, and his upcoming Netflix space opera, Rebel Moon, during a livestream on "The Nerd Queens" YouTube channel. Rebel Moon will be released in December of this year, after beginning development as a Star Wars project originally pitched to Lucasfilm years ago. Snyder appears to have high hopes for the film's success, as not only is a sequel being shot back-to-back, but it will also receive a full video game adaptation.
- In response to a fan's tweet requesting an update on the film, Snyder stated, "the one thing that I’m really having a good time with, and I don’t even know if I’m supposed to talk about it, but this RPG that we’re doing that is just literally insane." Snyder went on to say that the game is "immersive, intense, and so huge" and that he "always wanted to do an RPG and it was pitched to me at this scale," before revealing that he was not supposed to talk about it.
- This will be Snyder's first true foray into gaming, and it appears that he and the game's unknown development studio are going all out for the first time. Some of Snyder's previous collaborations with DC have resulted in mobile titles but never full-length titles for home consoles and PC. We don't know the release date, what stage of development the game is currently in, or even if the game will follow the plot of the unreleased film because Snyder wisely decided not to provide any more information about the ongoing development. We expect to find out more later down the line, possibly close to the film's December 22 release date.
Other recent game announcements:
- IO Interactive has announced that the Hitman franchise is "going on hiatus," but that it is still working on a new 007 game and a brand-new fantasy title. Little is known about either project, but it is assumed that they are both in the early stages of development and are still a long way off.
- After multiple delays, Bethesda's Starfield has received yet another release date. The game will now be released on September 6, 2023, with an in-depth showcase event taking place on June 11, following Xbox's larger summer showcase.