Raiden voice actor teases Metal Gear Solid announcement is on the horizon
by Danny Craig ·
Quinton Flynn, the voice actor of Metal Gear Solid 2 (MGS2) and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (MGR) protagonist Raiden, has seemingly confirmed a big announcement for fans of the franchise is coming soon.
- Following the departure of series creator Hideo Kojima from Konami in 2015, the Metal Gear franchise has faded from the spotlight. Since the split, Konami has released the zombie survival spin-off Metal Gear Survive to negative reviews, putting the company in an awkward position for future releases.
- In response to a tweet from Flynn promoting his Fiverr account, a fan pointed out that the 10th anniversary of MGR's release is coming next month. Another fan then added that Konami could be looking to showcase future Metal Gear content soon and that MGR2 could potentially be included in the showcase.
- Flynn joined the conversation by saying, "Stay tuned for things to be announced in the coming weeks," implying that something related to MGS is on the way.
- MGSR has recently seen a resurgence in popularity, not only due to its fun gameplay and incredible music but also the game’s unserious nature, which has led to its use in memes. One of the most popular memes stemming from the game is "My source is that I made it the f**k up," which comes from a confrontation between Raiden and the nanotech-infused antagonist Senator Armstrong. Its popularity only seems to be growing, so Konami might be ready to capitalize on the newfound publicity. For more insight as to why the game has blown up in 2022, check out the brilliant video from Jacob Geller on the subject here.
What is Hideo Kojima up to now?
- Following his split from Konami in 2015, Kojima and his studio, Kojima Productions, created Death Stranding. At the Game Awards in December, Kojima Productions announced that a sequel was in the works, with many cast members from the first game returning, including Norman Reedus. Kojima also revealed during an on-stage interview that the COVID-19 pandemic forced him to completely rewrite the story (and that he no longer wants to predict the future).
- Pop band CHVRCHES is also likely to be involved with the soundtrack in some way, with them recently visiting the new Kojima Productions office. They were seen undergoing a face scan, so they could be making a cameo appearance in-game.
- Not only is the studio working on Death Stranding 2, but Kojima himself also confirmed that an entirely separate game is also in the works in a video update posted to Twitter. Fans believe that this could be "Overdose," a horror game by the studio that was leaked back in June 2022.