NetEase acquires Quantic Dream as first step into Europe
by Adam Fitch ·
The acquisition: NetEase invested in the studio three years ago.
- Quantic Dream is the first studio owned by NetEase to be based in Europe, marking the company's intentions to expand its footprint.
- The cost of the acquisition has not been disclosed at the time of writing, though it was made clear in an announcement that the studio will continue to operate independently under its new ownership.
- "By combining the wild creativity and exceptional narrative focus of Quantic Dream with NetEase’s powerful facilities, resources and execution capabilities, we believe there are infinite possibilities that could re-define the interactive entertainment experience we provide for players worldwide," said NetEase CEO William Ding.
The decision: The acquisition ends Quantic Dream's 25 years of independence.
- Quantic Dream is best known as the studio behind titles such as Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human.
- The next major title set to be released by the company is Star Wars Eclipse, an "action-adventure, multiple-character branching narrative game" made in partnership with Lucasfilm Games.
- While Quantic Dream is said to be continuing with its independence, it will now be supported by a larger entity that can help it to boost its operations and output. David Cage, its Founder, explained that the transaction "creates a unique opportunity
to boost Quantic Dream’s growth by giving our production and publishing teams all the necessary means to excel.”
- "I am particularly proud that our employees, who were offered a significant share of our capital over the past years, will fully benefit from this acquisition," Cage revealed.