CD Projekt Red shuts down rumors of Sony acquisition
Recent rumors of Sony acquiring Witcher studio CD Projekt Red have been squashed by a member of its PR team.
- Over the weekend, a reputable Destiny 2 leaker named Liz claimed that Sony was planning to buy the studio, which would mean that PlayStation would gain control of the Witcher and Cyberpunk franchises in the future. The leaker also claimed that Sony's Bend Studio was working on a sequel to 2021’s Days Gone.
- However, the leak has been proven false, as Ola Sondej, a CD Projekt Red PR representative, has confirmed that the company is "not in such talks with Sony." Some have also pointed out that the company is publicly traded, so if this were true, it would be reflected on the stock exchange. The Days Gone "leak" appears to be false as well, with Bend Studio working on an entirely new IP.
- It's suspected that this false information was provided to the leaker on purpose in order for Sony or Bungie to figure out who was responsible for leaking upcoming Destiny content. This is due to Liz's reputation within the Destiny 2 community as a trustworthy leaker, and it just so happens that a rare non-Destiny-related leak is completely incorrect.
More PlayStation news:
- Sony has unveiled Project Q, a handheld that will use the remote play features of the PlayStation 5 to stream games directly to the device. Its design incorporates an 8-inch screen sandwiched between two halves of a DualSense controller.
- Sony has announced that the PlayStation VR2 has sold over 600,000 units since its February release, an 8% increase over the original headset. Analysts predicted that the headset would sell 270,000 units by March 2023, but it sold more than double that number.