Black Panther reportedly receiving open-world video game
Marvel character Black Panther is set to receive his own open-world single-player game if a new report is to be believed.
The game: Insomniac's Spider-Man was proof that standalone superhero games can be hits.
- The report comes from Jeff Grubb, a former journalist for GamesBeat, on his daily news show.
- It's reported that the game will be single-player and open-world, with players becoming the new Black Panther following the death of the mantle's previous holder.
- It's said that the title is being developed under the codename of 'Project Rainier' and is a product of a new studio led by former Monolith Productions Vice President, Kevin Stephens. EA Games will publish the game.
Popular culture: Black Panther has become a leading superhero in culture over recent years.
- Ever since Black Panther's introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe with Captain America: Civil War in 2016, the character has become one of the more prominent superheroes in pop culture.
- The character's subsequent standalone movie in 2018, as well as appearances in the Avengers ensemble movies, further cemented his place among other popular heroes like Iron Man, Spider-Man, and Thor. The trailer for Black Panther: Wakanda Forever was released on July 24.
- In the realm of video games, the character has been a playable character in titles such as The Avengers from Square Enix and Nintendo's Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. He's yet to have his own solo game, however that now seems poised to change in the coming years.