Resident Evil Village VR to arrive in February 2023
Resident Evil Village’s official PS5 virtual reality mode will release early next year, on February 22.
- The official Resident Evil Twitter account announced that the VR mode would be available on PlayStation 5 as a free DLC on February 22, 2023. It will require either the base game or the title’s gold edition to play.
- The mode will require the new Sony PlayStation VR2, which will launch alongside the update. VR mode will utilize the PlayStation VR2’s power, including 4K resolution, eye tracking, 3D audio, and more realistic movement thanks to the new Sense controllers. Producer Kanda Tsuyoshi said in a PlayStation blog post: "Making full use of the PlayStation VR2, you’ll be wholly immersed when playing Resident Evil Village with this DLC…it’s a truly captivating experience that puts you directly into the twisted world that Ethan Winters is fighting through.”
- Modder Praydog released a VR mod for the game earlier this year complete with full hand tracking, 360 camera rotation, and gamepad support for PC players who wanted to experience the game in VR. With official VR support being exclusive to PlayStation, it's unlikely that Capcom will offer the mode to other platforms, so the PC mod appears to be the best option for those who play on a different device.
What’s going on with Resident Evil?
- Resident Evil 4 is receiving a remake following the huge success of both Resident Evil 2 and 3’s remakes in recent years. The release date of this has been set for March 24, 2023, with the Steam store page accepting pre-purchases for both the standard and deluxe editions.
- The remakes of Resident Evil 2 and 3, along with Village, are now available on the Nintendo Switch as cloud versions. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard will be the next game to arrive in cloud form on December 16, 2022.
- The producer of Resident Evil 4’s remake, Yoshiaki Hirabayashi, was asked by Noisy Pixel about a Code Veronica remake in the future. Unfortunately it’s not in the works right now, with Hirabayashi commenting that if the opportunity comes, then “maybe.”