Nintendo has confirmed it will not be attending E3 2023
by Danny Craig ·
Rumors of the gaming giant missing E3 for the first time in years have been officially confirmed by the company.
- In a statement to VentureBeat, the company said that E3 2023 doesn’t "fit" into its plans currently and that it approaches its involvement in any event on a "case-by-case basis." The company also confirmed that it will remain a "strong supporter of the ESA and E3" in a statement to The Verge.
- Rumors of Nintendo's nonappearance began to circulate in January, when both PlayStation and Xbox were reported to be absent from the show, instead opting to hold their own showcases, including State of Play and Developer Direct, which take place throughout the year. Both companies have yet to confirm their absence from the show, but Sony is almost certainly not going based on reports of disagreements with the ESEA back in 2019.
- The absence of Nintendo is still surprising to many, as the company has always had some form of presence at the show regardless of its current success, especially due to the return of a physical event space. Even during the Wii U era, which is widely regarded as some of Nintendo's worst years as a video game company, it was a prominent attendee at the event.
What else is happening at Nintendo?
- The Pokémon Company and Netflix have announced that they will be working together on a new stop-motion animated series titled "Pokémon Concierge," which follows the story of a concierge at a resort helping out the Pokémon guests that visit.
- Microsoft revealed that it had signed a 10-year legal agreement with Nintendo to bring its console titles to Nintendo platforms, including the Switch. The main franchise highlighted in the announcement was Activision-Blizzard’s Call of Duty, which will be released on Nintendo’s consoles on the same day as the Xbox going forward.
- Another Nintendo Direct was held last month filled with announcements, including a Metroid Prime remaster that has already been released. You can find our full write-up of the show here.