Gears of War 2 & 3 writer may be returning to the series
by Danny Craig ·
Joshua Ortega, a writer for both Gears of War 2 and 3, has teased on Twitter that he might be making a return to work on the series.
- Ortega retweeted a thread of tweets he had originally posted on Twitter highlighting his work on the series. The quote tweet's caption reads "Once again it's on!" and points towards him working on the next installment of the series. Ortega also responded to a fan's question, "You're back with Gears?" with a simple "Hmm...", fueling speculation even further.
- On the second title, Ortega was a writer and co-director, and on Gears of War 3, he was a narrative designer and story co-creator. Gears 4 and 5 marked a shift in the series' overall tone, with Ortega completely absent from both projects.
- The Coalition is now reportedly working on the sixth mainline entry, but it’s unknown if Ortega is involved with the title or an entirely separate Gears-related project.
In other Gears of War and Coalition updates:
- In November 2022, it was announced that Netflix is working on two adaptations of the Gears franchise, in the form of a film and an animated series. It’s working alongside The Coalition on both projects to ensure they’re true to the original series' style and vision.
- The Coalition was one of the studios affected by Microsoft’s layoffs in January 2023, alongside other Xbox subsidiaries Bethesda and 343 Industries. Rumors have circulated that due to the layoffs, two projects at the studio have since been cancelled to direct all focus onto Gears 6.