Senior HR Advisor
We build ground-breaking games and content for some of the world’s biggest publishers including Microsoft, Sony, Apple and Sega. Sheffield is our largest studio and headquarters, situated just north-east of the city centre, where we’ve built and contributed to some of the world’s best-loved game franchises.
It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo, winners of the Develop: Star Awards 2019 Best Studio; big things are on the horizon and we want you to be part of our continued journey. Join us!
The role @ Sumo
The Sumo HR team is growing to meet the continued growth of our studios within the UK and abroad. We're now looking for a Senior HR Advisor to come and join our team!
With the support of our embedded and experienced Recruitment, L&D and HR Leadership team, you will work with our people and our managers, provide expertise, advice and management information across a full range of generalist HR activities, whilst delivering against agreed key initiatives to support the achievement of the HR strategy.
It's an exciting time at our Sumo studios, we'd love you to come on board and support us on the journey.
Within this role you will:
- Support managers in ER casework, such as probation, performance management, appraisals, redundancy, absence management, TUPE, disciplinary, grievance, remuneration, benefits, family friendly cases, including attending hearings.
- Support HRM and L&D Manager with succession planning initiatives
- Coach and develop managers on company policy and best fit HR solutions
- Act as a mentor to more Junior members of the HR team. Contribute to the ongoing development of the wider team, sharing knowledge, learning and experiences.
- Provide advice and contribute to the implementation of HR Programs and change management initiatives
- Undertake HR Project work and research as directed
- Support the effective management of the employee life cycle, ensuring it is driving engagement and retention.
- Be an advocate for continuous improvement throughout the business, assisting in policy, procedure, letters and management templates, ensuring they remain fit for purpose, legally compliant and maximize efficiency
- Support wider HR team with creation and implementation of management toolkits
- Build trusted relationships with your key stakeholders: Team Leads and Discipline Directors
- Actively contribute to the development and delivery of HR related training on either an individual or collective basis as and when required.
- Update HR System as required ensuring that all relevant information is passed over to meet deadline dates for processing
- Process payroll as required
- MI analysis on Absence, leavers, starters and disciplinary and capability matters as well as other MI on an adhoc basis
- Create HR team “how to” guides as required
- Advise on terms and conditions of employment
- Maintain awareness of employment law legislative changes
- Take responsibility for project and initiatives as required
- Work with HRM to develop and implement plans to improve employee engagement
- Identify areas of improvement, opportunity and innovation and work with HR Manager and members of the wider HR team to implement any agreed changes.
- Maintain employee data/records, ensuring they are accurate, kept up to date in a timely manner and stored in line with HR policy and GDPR regulations.
- Provide cover when necessary for other members of the HR team.
- Any other duties as required.
It would be great if you have:
- HR Advisory experience, ideally across a broad range of HR activities including, disciplinary, grievance, TUPE, redundancy and change, absence and performance management within a fast-paced and complex business
- Previous experience in delivering management training is highly desirable
- Ability to use initiative to solve problems and think outside the box
- Able to quickly gain credibility and good working relationships with key stakeholders
- Takes ownership of problems and actively seeks solutions by using own initiative
- Ability to use appropriate judgment in involving the next level (escalation) or other resources in decision making or processing
- Can manage own workload and prioritise tasks to ensure SLAs, deadlines and business milestones are achieved
- Ability to provide both verbal and written communication clearly, succinctly, and persuasively, as well as the ability to influence others
- Ability to work under pressure and manage a varied workload
- Must have a flexible attitude and strive for continuous improvement with a keen eye for detail, consistency and accuracy
- Ability to work well in a team but on own initiative also
- Through understanding of HR processes and procedures & employment law
- Excellent interpersonal skills with particularly well developed listening, influencing and persuasion skills
- Ability to promote and uphold HR initiatives and values, including discretion and confidentiality
- Flexible to travel between our studios as required
- Full driving licence and own transport
- Competency in interpreting and providing advice on employment legislation and conditions of service to ensure compliance and best fit advice
- Solution focused with a keen eye for systematic improvements
- Well-developed IT skills and familiarity with business software such as Microsoft Office.
- A CIPD Level 5 minimum is desirable but will consider applicants with relevant experience
We are open to your previous experience and will consider applications from different industry backgrounds to gaming. If this is a role and an organisation that seems interesting to you, we'd love to have a conversation.
What We Offer:
We offer a super benefits package including generous holidays and flexible working hours. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday, on site free gym and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo.
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We are a very happy ship with lots of incredibly nice people that partake in shared interest groups, lunchtime clubs, charity fundraising events and lots of socialising.
We are proud to be located in Sheffield, just off J34 of the M1 offering easy road and rail access from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. Sheffield itself enjoys wealth of facilities including world class sporting facilities, stunning theatres and galleries, the National Video Game Museum, shopping, restaurants and incredible parks and green spaces - all on the doorstep of the beautiful Peak District National Park. We love it here.