Senior Director of Developer Marketing (B2B)
Los Angeles, Portland, San Francisco
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $77 billion in 2020 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly-traded (NYSE: SLZ) mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide, and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, and the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000.
What We’re Looking For
The ideal candidate must have experience with developing insight-led marketing programs for a developer audience across paid, owned and earned channels, including, but not exclusive to, digital and social campaigns, large-scale events, partnerships, marketing collateral, case studies, webinars and engaging video content. A background in software development, game publishing, or developer evangelism is preferred. We’re looking for a candidate who brings an entrepreneurial spirit, an eagerness to learn and lead, and must be comfortable with ambiguity as the Skillz API evolves, grows, and leads the industry in providing developers with a new way to share their art with the world.
What You Will Do
- Define and execute the marketing strategy to reach and persuade first and third-party developers of the benefits of building and showcasing their art on the Skillz API.
- Work closely with internal partners on how to grow Skillz’s participation from the developer community.
- Design and deliver global business marketing campaigns for developers, identifying relevant audiences, prioritizing the right channels to reach them and developing the right advertising content to persuade them. Channels are likely to include digital media, developer forums, events, trade publications, industry bodies/networks among others
- Be a subject-matter expert on the Skillz developer audience, work with the functional teams within Skillz for sales, operations, product marketing, and integrated marketing to share insights and best practices
- Maintain a clear understanding of product features and how they impact developers and the businesses they build for. Partner with product marketing to define relevant messaging, and produce the technical tools and educational materials necessary to create an amazing developer experience as the feature set evolves
- Maintain and update central source of truth for developer documentation and collateral, including narratives and playbooks to help them learn and implement best practices. Integrate Skillz’s business API into internal events and webinars to educate and inspire developers
- Own KPI definition for developers, including tracking initiative ROI and providing analyses to leadership and stakeholders
- 10+ years of work experience in software development, developer marketing or developer evangelism
- Experience in defining and implementing cross-channel marketing strategy
- Experience developing scaled digital marketing campaigns targeted at technical audiences
- Presentation and communication excellence
- Experience thriving in a fast-paced, unpredictable environment
- Experience building a developer marketing program from the ground up
- Experience in evangelism, education or other public-facing technical roles
- A strong track record of presenting and teaching highly technical topics to varied stakeholders
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.