Technical Artist (All Levels)
At Rockstar, we create the games we would want to play ourselves.
A career at Rockstar is about being part of a global team working on some of the most creatively rewarding, large-scale projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a friendly, inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar India is looking for a passionate and talented Technical Artist to join the team to help develop and support our titles.
This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Bangalore.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Art production - from content creation through to the game (across multiple platforms).Create and maintain tools that improve our Art creation/editing workflows.
- Provide general support for Art team and document/share solutions/knowledge with wider team.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Art team.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of wider global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Art department) such as Tools and Runtime (Engine) teams.
- This is a generalist Technical Artist role. The candidate could potentially be involved in a wide variety of technical tasks related to Art (Character, Exterior, Interior, Props, Weapons, Terrain, Vehicle and Vegetation).
- Note: This not a regular Artist position so the candidate won't be doing any creation of artwork.
- Create tools within 3DS Max/Houdini/Substance/Photoshop to support and push forward workflows across the various disciplines of Art.
- Write standalone tools/systems (in C#/WPF and/or Python) to connect various DCCs and in-house tools together into a cohesive Art pipeline.
- Create HDAs to help with procedural creation of artwork where possible.
- Develop our Automation systems and write new behaviour to support on-going Art development across multiple projects.
- Push forward Technical Art processes and standards to improve our ability to deliver quality tools and pipelines; code building, CD/CI, unit testing.
- Write documentation for pipelines / tools created.
- Stay current with latest technologies and ongoing research in the field to help keep our Art tools and pipelines at the cutting edge.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist or similar / related position.
- An online portfolio showing relevant examples of your work.
- Experience and understanding of using DCC packages for creating game Art.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Strong coding/scripting skills (candidate may be asked to complete a test).
- Comfortable working in an IDE and debugging.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines and milestones.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Professional experience developing pipelines and creating tools.
- Specific experience with 3DS Max, Houdini, Substance. Ideally scripting or tools development capacity.
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Experience with Maxscript and/or C++ Max SDK.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework.
- Experience working with WPF, XAML, and the MVVM pattern.
- Experience with Python (standalone or within the context of a DCC).
- Experience with QT (PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern.
- Experience with VEX and/or Houdini C++ SDK.
- Experience with NoSql (MongoDB/Elastic) or relational/Sql databases.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Experience using other game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity or proprietary tech).
- Solid foundation in math (specifically 3D math).
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover-letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.