Lead Analytical Data Engineer
Every day, tens of millions of people from around the world come to Roblox to play, learn, work, and socialize in immersive digital experiences created by the community.
Our vision is to build a platform that enables shared experiences among billions of users. This is what’s known as the metaverse: a persistent space where anyone can do just about anything they can imagine, from anywhere in the world and on any device. The breadth of opportunities, and the evolving demands of this first-of-its-kind platform, ensure that your avenues for growth are always expanding and flexible.
Join us and you’ll usher in a new category of human interaction while solving exceptional challenges that you won’t find anywhere else.
At Roblox, an understanding and measurement of users and creators experience is essential to Roblox's growth. The Analytical Data Engineering team is ensuring Roblox's success through the development of the Core Data model with an eye for scalability to support the analytical community and tooling to increase the speed at which we build data. As one of the founding members of the ADE team, you will establish the data ontology for all of Roblox, determine standards for the analytical community, determine technical strategy for Roblox's ETL strategy including batch vs. streaming architecture, and influence event instrumentation.
As an Lead Analytical Data Engineer you are familiar with supporting Data Science and Machine Learning workflows, and should leverage that knowledge to inform your design decisions and implementations. Our team's product will be the interface between data engineering and all other teams who will leverage the data to improve the Roblox platform and the experience of our users and creators alike. You will report to our Analytics Data Engineering Manager.
- A B.Sc. equivalent in CS or sufficient experience.
- 5+ years of professional experience working with scalable ETL pipelines on industry standard ETL orchestration tools (i.e. Airflow, Luigi, Prefect, Dagster, digdag.io, Google Cloud Composer, AWS Step Functions, Azure Data Factory, UC4, Control-M)
- 3+ years working in the Hadoop Data Ecosystem for data processing
- 2+ years leading data engineering development directly with business or data science partners
- Built, scaled, and maintained Multi-Terabyte data sets
- Experience with at least one major cloud's suite of offerings (AWS, GCP, Azure)
You May Have
- Developed with Data Quality at the core of your pipelines (e.g. Great Expectations, Data Fold)
- Developed or enhanced ETL orchestrations tools
- Familiarity with Data Discovery tooling (e.g. Amundsen, Atlas)
- Worked within standard GitOps workflow (branch and merge, PRs, CI / CD systems)
- Familiarity with infrastructure configuration (IaC [e.g. Terraform], cluster parameter tuning, service parameter tuning)
- Partner with science, product, and engineering to collect data requirements to establish the Core Data Ontology for all of Roblox
- Lead a growing team of Analytical Data Engineers to support Roblox's ever-evolving data needs
- Design and scalable data model to support the growing analytical community
- Design, build, and maintain efficient and reliable data pipelines in batch and streaming to fuel the core data sets
- Apply ETL Frameworks to grow and extend functionality of the frameworks.
- Analyze the use cases for the data to determine appropriate Service level agreements
- Analyze the incoming data and upstream pipelines to determine and minimize epistemological issues.
- Determine appropriate relaxations to deterministic compute and use probabilistic data structures (bloom filters, count min sketch)
- Partner with the Data Platform Team to provide approximation algorithms (approximate nearest neighbor) for high use statistics of interest.
- Determine caching strategies and eviction policies to support cost-effective analysis
- Drive adoption of the Core Data tables and publicize new incoming datasets to ensure consistency across the organization
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
- A Roblox Admin badge for your avatar