Sr. Software Engineer (Java)
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Software Engineer (Java)
Los Angeles, CA
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for design and implementation of interactive web-based services in innovative ways. You will be building and improving Java code as well as providing software for the PlayStation Network. This extraordinary network provides online services for the PS4, Web, PS3, PSP, Vita, Tablets, mobile phones, PC, Bravia TVs and more. We build large internal enterprise applications which integrate and support such fun services as Movie/TV Show streaming, PSN gaming commerce and much more. Our environment is high energy, agile and we use some of the latest tools out there.
The primary role for this position will be to work the design and development of back-end applications and components and the integration with third party systems. We are looking for a skilled Java developer with experience in full life-cycle application development and systems integration. He/She will work with peers on the development of large scale systems that support other Sony's businesses in the digital content area. The role will primarily be focused on development of projects. This entails architecture, coding, unit testing, bug fixing and assistance in the deployment to production as well as maintenance knowledge transfers.
- You will connect with members of the Technology group by providing status, identifying and raising issues and participating in planning activities.
- Write Java code for internal application development
- Write and execute unit tests using the JUnit framework
- Apply and help refine coding standards
- Create required documentation including low-level design documents
- Ownership of the implementation and delivery of mid-size to large features
- Design mid-size features or implement more sophisticated features as designed by technical lead
- Communicate estimates, schedules, issues and dependencies to technical or project lead
- Increase expertise in the areas of development related to the assigned projects
- Identify and address issues independently
- Fix bugs and provide support for business and maintenance teams
- Refactor existing code base and improve overall quality of code
- Perform knowledge shares
- Boldly improve development processes
- Participate in the establishment of standard methodologies
- 6+ years experience with Java and java-based web application development
- 4+ years experience with RDBMS and writing SQL queries
- 4+ years experience with XML related technologies (XML, XSL, JAXP) and JSON
- 4+ years experience with RESTful APIs
- Experience with object modeling, analysis and design
- Experience with MVC technologies
- Experience using source control systems (e.g. Git, Perforce, etc…)
- Experience utilizing JUnit and other testing frameworks
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering both consumer facing web based solutions and intranet/extranet type applications for internal users and partners
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- Experience using Linux or UNIX-variant operating systems
- Experience with advanced web UI technologies (e.g. JQuery, AngularJs, ReactJs)
- Experience with Oracle, MySQL/Aurora database
- Experience with hosting applications in AWS/cloud
- Experience in SCRUM/Agile methodologies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with Hibernate
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience developing shell or Perl scripts
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.