The hallmark of id Software games is tightly balanced, hand-crafted combat – a lone hero with an arsenal of incredible weapons and abilities versus hordes of unique and intelligent creatures. Our AI programmers bring that combat to life with the development and implementation of industry-leading creature behaviors, pathing and attacks.
We are looking for an experienced AI Programmer to work as part of our development team making AAA games by developing AI and related technology for the game industry’s most advanced engine technology.
You must be able to work closely with individuals in the other development disciplines to create and improve AI gameplay features for rewarding customer experiences.
Position based in Richardson, TX. Will consider remote.
- Responsible for any aspect of AI gameplay programming from invention and prototyping to full implementation.
- Write clear, maintainable, portable C++ code
- Work with the Lead AI Programmer to design and architect major gameplay systems.
- Work well with other engineers, artists, and designers specifically in the areas of developer experience and iteration time.
- Help mentor and guide less experienced programmers on AI systems.
- Accurately estimate schedules and deliver high quality work products to that schedule.
- 5+ years game industry programming experience
- Strong C++ design and coding experience
- Experience writing code that balances performance and maintainability.
- Strong 3D math skills
- Enjoys jumping into lots of different systems, tackling everything from entire systems to random tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills and problem solving ability
- Comfortable working in cross-discipline teams
- Excellent organization and time management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to write clear, maintainable, portable code that adheres to a well-documented coding standard
- Must be a self-motivated and energetic team player with a very strong work ethic and cooperative attitude
- Significant contributions to at least 1 AAA shipped game
- Experience with developing first-person shooters
- Experience with any version of idTech
- Experience with C++11
- Experience with animation or gameplay programming
- Experience with game editor and commercial (Max, PhotoShop, Modo, etc.) plugins/modification
- University or equivalent programming-related degree
We embrace diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do – from recruiting for our studios, publishing and operations to fostering safe and respectful workplaces that encourage collaboration. Our culture is based on principles of respect, inclusion, and fair treatment and we welcome anyone into our family without regard to race, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, or age.
Our diversity fuels our innovation and inspires us to create game worlds that bring us closer to the global community of players we serve.