Candidates are encouraged to apply for a part-time eSports Head Coach position with Abilities In Motion (AIM), a resource for people with disabilities located in Reading, PA approximately 45 minutes northwest of Philadelphia, PA. This position will be responsible for developing and launching AIM’s an all-inclusive eSports program and oversees recruiting players, overseeing the general operations, coaching, and building the program identity.
Abilities in Motion (AIM) is a community-based, cross-disability, consumer controlled, non-profit human services organization. The core of who we are is based upon the Independent Living Philosophy, which emphasizes consumer control and the belief that people with disabilities are the most important experts on their own needs with a crucial and invaluable perspective on how they can contribute. The IL Philosophy also recognizes that consumers deserve equal opportunity to decide how to live, work and participate in their communities, particularly regarding services that powerfully affect their day-to-day lives and access to independence, which is a civil right. We ensure consumer control through both our governance and staffing in that 51% of our staff and board must have a disability.
Job Title: eSports Head Coach FLSA status: Non-exempt
Department: Business Development Location: Reading
Reports to: Executive Director Supervisory: None
Full-time or Part-time: Part-time Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., 37.50 hours per week
Written: May 2023 Revised:
Position Summary: The eSports Head Coach will be responsible for developing and launching AIM’s all-inclusive eSports program and will oversee the recruitment of players, managing the budget, overseeing the general operations, coaching, and building the program identity. The Head Coach will work with AIM’s collaborative leadership team to devise a competition schedule each year and strategize game selection. The preferred candidate will have the ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends. Travel for team tournaments and recruiting may be required from time to time.
Essential Functions/Primary Duties:
• Recruit and retain players for the eSports program.
• Collaborate with other departments including, but not limited to Information Technology, the Center for Tech Innovation, Development, Communications, and Independent Living.
• Initiate and run practice, competition, and team building activities.
• Oversee and manage program budget.
• Provide guidance and input on games selected for competition.
• Offer regular feedback on equipment upgrades, updates, and maintenance.
• Coordinate off-season activity, practice schedules, and competition schedules.
• Organize team travel when required.
• Conduct camps, clinics, and promotional events to help market the program to potential players and donors.
• Monitor and mentor the mental well-being of players.
• Pursue sponsorship opportunities in coordination with Development.
• Review agreements, contract deadlines, rules, and compliance with any associated league, conference, and affiliates.
• Ensure all persons and functions of the program exemplify the character and mission of AIM.
• Other duties as assigned.
• At least one year of competitive eSports experience involving team-based multiplayer online video games.
• Expert knowledge of multiple games including some combinations of League of Legends, Overwatch, Fortnite, Rocket League, Pokémon, and more.
• Coaching or teaching experience.
• Experience recruiting players preferred.
• Ability to work with a diverse community of players, administrators, and professional colleagues.
• Demonstrated initiative and creativity.
• Strong relationship-building skills.
• Proficient written and oral communication skills.
• A valid driver’s license and ability to travel.
Education/Relevant Work Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
• Experience working and collaborating with people with disabilities preferred.
• Adheres to the organization’s mission, vision, and values.
• Adheres to the organization’s policies regarding time and attendance.
• Complies with accepted dress code and maintains a professional image.
• Demonstrates reliability and trustworthiness.
• Manages time and other resources to meet established goals within the agreed upon times.
• Demonstrates flexibility in the acceptance and completion of work assignments.
• Participates in the department’s performance improvement activities.
• Maintains consumer/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
Work Schedule: The typical week is a 37.50-hour work week: Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. Schedule may be flexible on occasion in accordance with consumer needs. Attendance at AIM events is encouraged for all employees.
Physical demands & work environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may occur to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing duties of job, employee may be required to stand; walk; sit, use hands to finger, manage, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear. Employees must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• Mental Demands: Stressful due to time constraints and multiple tasks/procedures occurring at the same time.
• Work environment: The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
• Manual Dexterity Required: Must be able to manipulate small electronic parts and controls.
Americans with Disabilities Act Statement: External and internal applicants, as well as position incumbents who become disabled, must be able to perform the essential job specific functions (listed within each job specific responsibility) either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by the organization on a case-by-case basis.
EEO Statement: AIM is an equal opportunity employer.