Lead VFX Artist
Wonderstorm is a STORY and PLAY studio in Los Angeles founded by former creative leaders from Riot Games and Naughty Dog, Aaron Ehasz, Justin Richmond and Justin Santistevan. The studio aims to create deep worlds and stories that will form the basis for lasting franchises. Our first franchise, the Emmy-nominated The Dragon Prince, currently has 3 seasons on Netflix, and the company is developing a AAA-quality video game based in the same world.
The Dragon Prince topped a variety of popularity lists, including Rotten Tomatoes, and was quickly renewed for a 2nd and 3rd Season. It has captivated millions across all ages and inspired a passionate fan community attracted to its action, adventure, humor and diversity of character.
- Collaborate with the art, design, and engineering teams to define VFX art pipeline and workflows; R&D new techniques and best practices to implement into production pipeline
- Partner closely with the Art Director to establish artistic style and ensure unified look and consistent quality across game
- Provide mentorship, feedback, and training to others on the team
- Maintain the artistic direction and vision through all phases of the game development. This entails ensuring all environment and character assets are of the highest artistic quality and upholding the integrity of the game’s design and artistic vision of the game as a whole
- Proactively seek feedback from Art Director and Creative Directors
- Actively contribute to the growth of a startup studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- 5+ years in 2D and 3D VFX art production
- Proven track record in at least one shipped title (preferably AAA)
- Superior 2D and 3D art skills
- Possess a critical eye for timing, animation, and motion for games
- Someone with a love for research, reference, and documenting your findings to share with the team
- Ability to work in a team setting, under deadlines and time constraints
- Expertise in Maya, Blender, or other technologies utilized in the production of game art
- Experience with Unreal 4 Engine is a big plus
- Ability to work with a high degree of self-direction and motivation
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Creative nature with strong problem solving skills
We come to work every day inspired by the opportunity to make great games and stories together. Wonderstorm is an energizing place! We're looking for talented, creative, and passionate people to join our small team in order to make a big difference.
Wonderstorm offers excellent benefits, including:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive salaries
- Employee stock options (we're all owners)
Please submit a cover letter via the “Your Message to the Hiring Manager” section on the application.
Wonderstorm Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.