Principal Product Designer
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people around the world through play and imagination, with core games that have defined their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We want to offer more ways to connect and play as the company grows. And that's where you come in.
Magic: The Gathering is a game made of cards, and those cards reach our players in all kinds of different products: randomized into our traditional booster packs, given wild new art and sold for 24-hours as part of our Secret Lair line, or assembled into a ready-to-play Commander Deck just to name a few.
As a Principal Product Designer, you'll help lead & expand our rich portfolio of products and invent the next wave of groundbreaking products for our players and fans. This job isn't to design the cards, it's to assemble them into products that excite, reward, and satisfy our customers.
What new options and experiences should we be offering our customers? Where can we further innovate channel strategy, pricing, product pathing, or physical components? Help us get to the right answers and ask the questions we haven't yet thought to ask!
What You'll Do
- Understand the Landscape: Study the data and marketplace trends to discover realities, nuance, and opportunities.
- Create: Generate visions for ambitious new products and customer experiences – what goes in the box, how do we sell it, who is it for, etc.
- Lead Vision: Guide your products through the entire process as a product owner and central point of contact for teams such as Game Design, Creative, Packaging, Production, Marketing, and our Digital partners – act as an advocate for product goals and targets.
- Build Relationships: Partner throughout the organization (and beyond) to hear their needs, advocate on behalf of your products, and earn a reputation for collaboration & results.
- Influence Magic: Have opinions, create the things you care about, change minds.
- Make Us Smarter: Ask big questions and help find the answers by working with our analytics and research teams to run studies, execute tests, and communicate findings.
What You'll Bring
- 6+ years of professional experience in a transferable field, some examples include digital product management, digital gaming, marketing, or consumer good product development. (Magic or gaming work experience not required).
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- A consistent track record of innovation, flexibility, and critical thinking.
- An ability to blend personal style and voice with our brand standards.
The following experiences are helpful & may accelerate impact, but are not required. Our interviews will focus on aptitude and ability to learn on the job.
- Experience with analytics, testing, and customer insights.
- Experience/Passion for playing Magic: The Gathering.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.