Lead Artist, UI
WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit Overview
The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room!
NetherRealm Studios, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks a UI Lead to spearhead the User Experience and User Interface mobile team. The UX/UI Lead is responsible for the growth and well-being of their team. You will be an advocate for them and the user during the game development process. You will be expected to help the team set goals and adjust those expectations when necessary. There will also be an emphasis on working cohesively will the various other disciplines from Game Design and Product Management to Audio and Marketing. Clear communication and strong soft skills are a must. A background in developing processes and setting organizational frameworks are desirable. Experience developing and maintaining Design Systems is also a bonus.
You need to have a developed eye for many aspects of UI visual design; including screen layout, animation, type, illustration, and color. You will be there to guide the designers and give constructive, actionable, feedback.
You will have experience in UX Design and an understanding of UX Research. You will meet frequently to guide UX Designers as they collect information from stakeholders and take that through a full design process. That will encompass user journeys, wireframes, prototypes, usability testing with an external team, and rapid iteration. You should understand how to balance the needs of the user and business; leveraging quantitative and qualitative data to support your decisions.
Experience in Mobile Design and Game Development is a must. You should be familiar with the various mobile design guidelines and latest accessibility guidelines.
It is expected that you will be able to manage multiple live projects and communicate with external development partners.
- Mentoring team members and providing feedback.
- Directing the visual design of the UI.
- Directing the UX design.
- Facilitating communication with the other game team disciplines and leadership.
- Developing and evaluating processes.
- Working with and maintaining relationships with outsourcing teams.
- Bachelor's or Masters Degree in UX Design, UI Design, Visual Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or Information Architecture.
- 5+ years of Mobile UI/UX Development
- 3+ years in Game Development (Mobile, PC, or console)
- Experience leading a team of three or more direct reports.
- At least one full game development cycle.
- Strong Soft Skills
- Developed Emotional Intelligence
- Strong spoken and written communication ability
- Knowledge of UX design techniques; wireframing, prototyping, research, interaction design, analytics, and UX writing.
- Knowledge of UI design techniques; layout, color, typography, branding, animation, and illustration.
- Proficiency or ability to learn relevant software;, XD, Axure, Photoshop, After Effects, Jira, and Confluence,
The Nice to Haves
- Experience critiquing work and providing actionable feedback.
- Experience evaluating employee performance.
- Experience creating or maintaining a design system is a bonus.
- Experience or past experience with XD, Sketch, Figma, or Invision Studio.
- Experience with motion design or animation a bonus.
- Experience with 3D a bonus.
- Ability to learn Unreal Engine 4.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.