WarnerMedia is a leading media and entertainment company that creates and distributes premium and popular content from a diverse array of talented storytellers and journalists to global audiences through its consumer brands including: HBO, HBO Max, Warner Bros., TNT, TBS, truTV, CNN, DC Entertainment, New Line, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Turner Classic Movies and others.
Business Unit Overview
The creative team that brought Mortal Kombat and Injustice to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room!
NetherRealm Studios, a division of WB Games Inc., seeks a Designer to be responsible for significant contributions to game design with a focus on combat and moment-to-moment gameplay. This position works directly with the Lead Designer and fellow Designers to concept, implement, and maintain combat-centric systems, game balance, and character tuning. This position may also be required to assist or contribute to non-core gameplay features, such as additional game modes or meta systems, if needed.
The Designer will be responsible for assisting in the implementation of character navigation, combat mechanics, and other core gameplay features as required. Additionally, this position is responsible for assisting in the generation of animation shot lists and working with the Animation Department to help direct motion capture talent in shoots.
This position works closely with the Senior and Lead Game Designers to ensure that the overall design vision is being properly executed and communicated.
Within the studio, the Designer collaborates on design goals with the Lead Designer and Creative Director. This includes generating concept proposals for features, documenting feature and asset requirements for multiple disciplines, and implementing design using both script and editor based toolsets.
- Assists in designing and scripting in-game experiences, including the implementation of characters and their navigation, combat, and in-game particle effects.
- Works closely with Animation Department to generate mocap shot lists and help direct mocap performances.
- Plays and evaluates combat constantly over the course of the project and iterates based on feedback to achieve a high degree of polish.
- Analyzes and incorporates user feedback from consumer usability tests.
- Works with personnel on R&D efforts for new game systems and creates playable prototypes as required.
- Participates in regular, hands on interaction with Team members to ensure that the concepts and content of assigned games meet design requirements.
- Establishes and maintains good relationships with all team members and is able to implement solutions to problems in an effective, respectful manner.
- Coordinates and liaises with all necessary departments and divisions to facilitate execution of projects and materials in a professional and client-centric manner. This includes keeping the Producer and Design Leadership apprised of game status.
- Develops strong relationships to establish and maintain a reliable and timely flow of information and materials to all parties as necessary.
- B.A. degree preferred or equivalent job experience.
- 2 – 5 years game design experience required.
- Worked on least one title with a strong emphasis in combat design and implementation.
- Previous experience working with Unreal Engine 4 and Blueprints is highly desired.
- Previous programming or scripting experience preferred.
- Previous experience working on Console and PC games is a plus.
- Passion for action and fighting games with a focus on combat mechanics.
- Programming or scripting experience strongly preferred
- Direct experience in implementing navigation and/or combat mechanics (with a preference on melee based combat) on at least 1 shipped title
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and with deadlines.
Warner Media, LLC and its subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. Qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, protected veteran status or any other category protected by law.