We're looking for versatile, proactive artists who have experience in 2D concept art ranging from character design, world design, and everything in between. As an artist at Valve, you will join a world-class group of software engineers, 3D artists, writers, animators, and designers who are continually building and releasing entertainment experiences to players around the globe. We work in a fast-paced, team-centered environment, and we want to add your expertise in concept art to our team!
Valve is an entertainment and technology company driven to design and deliver extraordinary entertainment experiences to customers. We hire people with broad skill sets who also exhibit deep expertise. Concept artists at Valve work within highly collaborative, dynamic, and multi-disciplinary teams, and we value concept art which reflects the group's collective conversations and decisions. As a 2D artist you will generate concept work that solves problems identified by the team while seeking live feedback and performing fast-paced iteration. You should be comfortable self-managing and being aware of the needs and requirements of those around you as you contribute creative visual solutions throughout pre-production and production.
Do you prefer to collaborate with peers to define the work that you pursue, rather than simply follow a vision that's been set for you? If you're seeking an opportunity to work on genre-defining games with other world-class artists, consider joining Valve. We can't wait to see where you'll take us!
Please provide a portfolio of work which demonstrates
- Your originality and ability to iterate
- A strong understanding of color, anatomy and shape language for character design
- A solid understanding of composition, mood, light and architecture for environment design
- Communication skills which allow you to clearly describe your process
- Skill in concept design, illustration, or painting with an emphasis on story, gameplay, and brand development
- Production experience in animation, game, or film projects
- Experience generating and developing conceptual ideas from prototype thorough finished product
- Your working knowledge of 3D packages such as ZBrush, Mudbox, SketchUp, etc.
Sorry, we do not accept student portfolios.