The Documentation team at Unity is growing and we're looking for an experienced technical writer with passion and drive, technical aptitude, and excellent writing and editing skills.
We’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running, quickly form good working relationships with developers, and work collaboratively to produce great documentation that simplifies, explains, and empowers users to get the most from Unity products. This will include a mix of writing from scratch, revising draft documents supplied by developers, and overhauling legacy content.
You’ll be part of a talented, dynamic team of technical writers working across countries and timezones to support a passionate, growing community of developers and artists (around 1 million Docs visitors per month).
- Writing, editing, and reviewing technical documentation to support software releases
- Gathering, editing, and publishing knowledge from subject matter experts and developers
- Supporting development teams to deliver high-quality technical content within a fast-paced software release schedule
- Using internal templates, standards and in-house style guide (based on the Microsoft Writing Style Guide) to create clear and reusable content
- Helping a globally-distributed team improve the documentation user experience for our amazing community
- Championing the role and importance of documentation within Unity and across the writing community
- Experience working as a technical writer on different types of documentation such as API guides, programmer guides, installation guides, and user manuals
- Experience writing and publishing user-facing documentation for an international audience
- Excellent computing skills, ideally with an understanding of programming
- Impeccable standard of written and spoken English
- Experience delivering results within tight deadlines
- Passion for games and experience of Unity or 3D game development
- Familiarity with animation, visual effects, or other film and television concepts
- Knowledge or experience of programming languages, especially C#
- Experience producing documentation using MadCap Flare, Markdown, XML, or XMLDoc
- Understanding of source control tools (GitHub, Mercurial)
- Experience using issue trackers such as JIRA to track project tasks
Some travel may be required between Unity offices around the world (Brighton, Copenhagen, San Francisco, Seattle) and to major industry events.
About Unity Technologies
Unity is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
The company’s 1,400+ person research and development team keeps Unity at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than three billion times per month in 2019 on more than two billion unique devices.