UX Designer (Gameplay)
As a Gameplay UX Designer at Ubi MTL, you will be the glue that binds game design, UI, sound, VFX, and other feedback channels to create a seamless and engaging experience. You’ll make sure content is communicated clearly and navigation flows intuitively, so that players can fully immerse themselves in gameplay. Throughout the user-centric development process, you focus on the game as a whole while considering the impact of every design choice. As a creative problem-solver, you come up with solutions to prevent any (frustrating) discontinuity in the player experience. You smooth out any unwanted friction that stands between our players and the enjoyment they are – and should always be – having.
What you’ll do
- Partner with ergonomists and the user research team to get a clear picture of player behaviours, goals, motivations, values, needs, etc.
- Develop the overall core gameplay experience (flow, layout, logic, navigation, controls, feedback, etc.).
- Design the onboarding experience to ensure a smooth learning process.
- Build prototypes and wireframes to test concepts, explore opportunities, and look for pain points.
- Collaborate with interdependent teams (audio, art, animation, narrative, game design, level design, etc.) to support game features.
- Work (very) closely with UI artists and game designers to balance usability and functionality with visual appeal.
- Adapt your designs based on play test results and comments from cross-functional teams.
- Stay up to date on interaction design best practices + promote them across the studio.
What you bring
- A college diploma in Game Design, Computation Arts, or equivalent (undergraduate degree an asset)
- At least 2 years of experience in UX, game design, level design, or related experience
- Experience with the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign) and prototyping tools (e.g. Axure RP) *
- Understanding of interface & interaction design, information & product architecture, and research techniques
- A highly collaborative, creative, empathetic, and innovative spirit
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- Excellent problem-solving, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A keen eye for even the subtlest of details + a passion for video games
- Knowledge of gameplay programming a huge plus
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your education, experience, and skills
- Samples of your best designs (attach files or send us a link to your personal website or online portfolio)
A real live person will review your application. In this case, it’s our talent acquisition specialist Alexis. As he learns more about you through your profile, get to know him through the video below.
At Ubisoft Montreal, a preeminent developer of video games located in Montreal’s dynamic Mile-End neighbourhood since 1997, we offer a work environment unique in the industry for allowing you to build and cultivate games that are part of critically acclaimed, iconic AAA franchises of international repute.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary developers connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.
More than anything, at Ubi Montreal, you will regularly ship a variety of big, quality titles – Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Rainbow Six, Watch_Dogs, For Honor and… well we can’t disclose all our secrets just yet… – and work with some of the most talented people in the industry.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.