Technical Lead (AI)
Ubisoft’s 19,000 team members, working across more than 40 locations worldwide, are bound by a shared mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come. Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are vital in creating worlds where players and teams can thrive and express themselves. Suppose you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting-edge technologies, and pushing the boundaries of entertainment. In that case, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands, including Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For Honor™ and Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and a new technology that seamlessly blends physical and digital gameplay. In 2020, Ubisoft Toronto led the latest game development in the Watch Dogs franchise – Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto received praise for the tech and design work, for creating the first game you can play as anyone in an open world, and for its rich and detailed rendition of a future London. Now, in 2021, Ubisoft Toronto is on the verge of shipping Far Cry 6, the most ambitious Far Cry game to date, featuring the talented Giancarlo Esposito. We’re also kicking off new projects, and we can’t wait to share more details once we’re ready.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling industry-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where teams embrace innovative ideas and share knowledge with a genuine collaborative spirit.
On being a Technical Lead (AI) at Ubisoft Toronto
As a Technical Lead (AI) at Ubi Toronto, you’re an established leader, an expert in AI, who relies on past learnings to guide decisions in the present and proactively plan for the future.
You steer a team of programmers towards a technical vision, plus produce high-quality code and navigate constraints to turn it into reality.
With a responsibility to help your team of programmers develop their skills, you coach and mentor them, empowering them to innovate and perform at their best.
Thanks to your expertise, credibility, and reliability, not only can developers on your project turn to you for information and direction, but so can others. You’re a go-to person for guidance and a trusted advisor for Ubisoft employees worldwide.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The daily life of a Technical Lead (AI) at Ubisoft Toronto
- Define the technical vision within the project’s AI team + plan its technical roadmap;
- Regularly meet with your programming team to discuss progress; tackle setbacks; share updates; present features; give feedback; informatively and constructively explain the root causes of risks and issues; etc.;
- Mentor and motivate programmers to develop their technical skills + provide them with what they need to work efficiently and achieve quality (tools, pipelines, etc.);
- Write elegant code customized to the hardware you’re working with.
- Provide technical oversight by reviewing code and making technical validations;
- Anticipate and assess complex, escalated issues + propose adapted solutions;
- Sync up with other technical leads to remove blockers and keep production moving forward;
- Communicate with interdependent teams on other projects to exchange information;
- Please stay up to date on technological advancements and industry standards to define our best practices + share them with our studios.
What it takes to make it
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, or equivalent training or relevant experience;
- Around seven years of programming experience + 2 years of technical leadership
- A deep understanding of a variety of game engines, systems, programming languages, interdependencies, and critical issues;
- The ability to make informed, immediate decisions with minimal long-term impacts;
- A strategic approach to problem-solving: you don’t just patch problems, you solve them so that they never happen again;
- Excellent mentorship, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- A highly innovative and collaborative spirit;
- Effective cross-departmental communication: you can easily communicate with all disciplines + break down complex information for various audiences;
- A desire to share your knowledge to push the boundaries of technology & help others improve their skills.
We know that skills and competencies show up in different forms and can be based on different experiences. That's why we strongly encourage you to apply even though you may not have all the requirements listed above.
- Competitive Salary
- Comprehensive Benefits Package:
- Disability Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Extended medical insurance
- (Optional) RRSP contribution
- Relocation Assistance
- Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our individuality helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
When you’re a member of our team, your professional development is a priority. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews and salary increases to help you further your career and grow with our studio. We also offer a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
We host regular team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and offer various health and wellness initiatives, including yoga, on-site occupational therapy, flexible work hours, and continuing programs to promote a balanced life.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we believe diversity is our studio’s biggest strength. We’re committed to creating an inclusive work environment that reflects the diversity of our player community and is inclusive and respectful of the individuality of our team.
We encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for?
Ubisoft Toronto is committed to providing accommodations for accessibility upon request.
We thank you for your interest. However, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies, please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.