As an R&D Programmer within Ubi MTL’s La Forge, your role will be twofold: you’ll transform proof-of-concept prototypes to production-ready technologies and simplify how people work together within your team.
Your technical expertise paired with your communication skills will be invaluable in all that you do. On the transformation side of your job, you’ll adapt prototypes to minimum viable products, easing the hands-off to game development teams across the company. On the simplification side, you’ll create and maintain prototyping tools, standardize processes, and share best practices to increase efficiency at La Forge.
About La Forge
La Forge bridges academia and video game production, bringing together scholars and industry experts to facilitate technical prototyping based on the latest academic progress. Together, we explore subjects such as rendering, animation, AI, audio, and physics to tackle some of the biggest challenges in art and tech in gaming. Dedicated to innovation, we aim to accelerate research and development through prototyping to help content creators build increasingly believable worlds and better understand our players.
What you’ll do
- Improve prototypes to minimal viable products for game development teams.
- Design, code, and integrate machine-learning-based prototypes in game engines & internal middleware.
- Partner with product teams to release complete product packages that meet production quality criteria (robustness, documentation, completeness, and performance).
- Work closely with research scientists and production leads.
- Develop and maintain prototyping tools and infrastructure to facilitate collaboration between researchers.
- Provide support throughout prototype creation.
- Encourage standardization of frameworks, libraries, etc. among R&D teams + recommend and share best practices.
What you bring
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent
- At least 3 years of software development experience or related experience (with a focus on machine learning or in the gaming industry a huge plus)
- Mastery of Python & proficiency in C++
- A highly collaborative and solution-oriented spirit
- Curiosity and critical thinking
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills
- Motivation to innovate in the video game industry & adapt to its (constantly evolving) rhythm
- Experience with deep learning frameworks (e.g. PyTorch or Tensor Flow), storage systems, distributed systems, high-performance computing, or CUDA programming (nice to have)
- Knowledge of Linux and Windows OS (nice to have)
- Familiarity with Maxscript or MEL (nice to have)
What to send our way
- Your CV highlighting your education, experience, and skills
Ubisoft’s 20,000 team members, working across more than 30 countries around the world, are bound by a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their commitment and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come.
Ubisoft is an equal opportunity employer that believes diverse backgrounds and perspectives are key to creating worlds where both players and teams can thrive and express themselves.
When you join Ubi MTL, you’ll discover a workplace that sparks inspiration and connection. We offer a collaborative space that provides career advancement, a host of learning opportunities, and meaningful benefits centred on well-being.
If you are excited about solving game-changing challenges, cutting edge technologies and pushing the boundaries of entertainment, we invite you to join our journey and help us create the unknown.
At Ubisoft, you can come as you are. We embrace diversity in all its forms. We’re committed to fostering a work environment that is inclusive and respectful of all differences.