Lead Gameplay Programmer - Unannounced AAA project
As a Lead Gameplay Programmer at Ubisoft Barcelona, you will guide the programming team responsible for several gameplay features on Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, and continue their mission to develop exciting new features within existing systems or develop new systems from the ground up. You will champion a highly iterative development process and guide the team towards efficiency and programming quality.
Thanks to your expertise, leadership skills, and ability to make informed decisions, not only can your own team look to you for information and direction, but so can others. You are a go-to person for advice and a valuable resource for the studio.
The successful candidate will work within a collaborative multidiscipline environment implementing gameplay features that meet project’s design requirements, being also responsible for defining and tracking the schedule for his team, managing and mentoring individuals within the engineering team.
- Leading and managing a team of Gameplay Programmers.
- Work with production, engineers, design and art team leads to create task estimates and schedules for the programming team and track their development efforts.
- Work closely with the design team leads to understand the high-level vision for the various features/systems.
- Work closely with the lead studio driving the co-development on the project to ensure a proper communication with all the relevant stakeholders.
- Balance active code development with the management requirements and responsibilities of a discipline lead.
- Ensure the delivery of practical and timely solutions by the gameplay engineering team that meets the game design and technical requirements.
- Ensure code is modular, self-contained, and observes the technical constraints on the system by leading regular technical design and code reviews.
- Ensure coding standards are followed and help to enforce good programming practices within the engineering team.
- Ensure the creation of technical documentation for the engineering team.
- Mentor, manage and regularly review individuals to build a cohesive and effective team.
- Incentive and coordinate knowledge sharing within the team through trainings/talks.
- Optimize code and data for memory usage and performance as required.
- Be an active part of the debugging process and able to help other disciplines part of this process when needed.
- Passionate about playing and making games.
- Experience with leading and managing a team of gameplay programmers - knowledge of the pitfalls and key learnings of driving a team forward on an AAA Project.
- Excellent C/C++ programming skills, with good knowledge of object oriented development.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant subject or equivalent industry experience.
- At least 4-5 years of videogames development experience with significant involvement in 2 published AAA games, with at least 1 project at Lead level.
- Able to analyse and debug unfamiliar code of a reasonable complexity to understand and extend the functionality of an existing module.
- Has knowledge and experience driving an agile methodology within a team.
- Experience with commonly used development tools such as Visual Studio and Perforce.
- Familiarity with common scheduling, task and issue tracking tools - Jira, etc..
- Experience with game engines (e.g. Unity or Unreal).
- Ability to review and give feedback on teams work in a clear and constructive manner.
- Self-motivated and pro-active with a strong work ethic.
- A highly innovative, empathetic, and collaborative spirit.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of console games development is a plus
Few words about Ubisoft Barcelona studio:
The studio is located in one of the most popular urban area of Europe:
Barcelona! I bet that you know Barcelona for sure! Either for its amazing architecture, monuments and parks, famous nightlife with bars, restaurants and clubs, super weather and beaches, popular sport culture or for its great life quality.
Here in Barcelona, as well as in the studio, you will meet people from around the world, eat hundreds of different food, play different sports, talk about art and history, share amazing life experience with creative, open-mind and dynamic people. Exciting no?
As employee as much as citizen, we encourage you to inspire the world and build the future! We promote a friendly, creative and passionate culture for our talented team to produce the best AAA games in the videogames industry. We also encourage all our employees to invest time in playing any type of games, and if it’s together, even better!
In Barcelona studio, everyone feels like at home!
Are you ready to join the Ubi family for your new challenge? We are already excited to have you!
List of benefits:
- Monthly Restaurant tickets
- Preferential price for medical insurance
- Sports / activities deal
- Access to transport tax deductions
- Free access to all Ubisoft games (PC)
- Discount for Ubisoft console games
- Fresh fruits / drinks
- Friday Morning Breakfast
- Friday afternoon free
- Flexible working hours
- Team building events
- Assistance for opening Bank account
- Assistance for house contract/ documentation review
- Assistance for local registration (NIE, SSN, Tax)
Ubisoft Barcelona, part of Ubisoft’s international network of production studios, has developed for over 20 years a strong expertise in the production of videogames from a large variety of genres and platforms. The Studio is continuously looking to grow its team with highly professional, passionate and talented people.
During these years, the studio worked on the following franchises: “Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon®”, “Assassin’s Creed®” , “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege” or “Star Trek™: Bridge Crew” on VR…
The team is currently working on the “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six® Siege” Live Game, Beyond Good & Evil 2, Assassin's Creed, Tom Clancy's The Division 2 and Hyper Scape.