Lead AI Designer [Unannounced Project]
Are you ready to lead and coordinate the next big AI initiative in games? Do you love working with mixed teams to craft something unique together? Then hear us out!
We are looking for a someone who can be our Lead AI Designer to lead our AI design area on an ambitious unannounced project here in Stockholm Sweden.
As our Lead AI Designer, you’ll be responsible for the make-up of good AI behaviour and for creating archetypes and designing systems that will keep our players on their toes. We are looking for you who has plenty of AI experience and a leadership mindset but we do not require you to have had the title in the past.
You will collaborate with our Design leads of other areas to ensure our gameplay is coherent, and offers just the right level of entertainment for our players. You will lead the daily development of your area, ensure all elements work together and refine them to uncover game experiences that are as interesting as they are fun for our players.
We know you have fantastic potential and for us it is important you get to show your magic. To do this, we are creating strong autonomous teams with independent decision-making, freedom to try out new things and show why it works. For us it is important that you get to shine by being creative: to take deliberate decisions, poke holes in things when required, to navigate through known pitfalls and care for your craft by honouring your commitments.
In this role, you’ll join our Game Design craft and report to our Associate Game Director within 3C’s (Character, Control & Camera) & AI. You will collaborate to create high-level designs and lead both designers and cross-disciplinary teams in developing systems and encounters ready for our players to be experienced.
In this role you will...
- Collaborate with other Design leads to create a high-level vision for AI.
- Guide designers and cross-disciplinary teams in development of NPCs and AI systems.
- Engage with the wider Design team to untap creative potential and craft something unique together.
- Design AI systems and archetypes that will populate our game world and how they behave during various encounters.
- Constantly stay curious of AI design, explore and research future potential in the space and collaborate with our programmers to find a path forward.
- Coordinate with Associate Director, Directors, and producers to update on needs, timelines, and the pulse of your team.
- Have the opportunity to mentor junior and intermediate designers.
We would love if you...
- Have experience from owning a similar design area or experience as AI programmer.
- Have several years of experience working with AI archetypes and combat encounters, preferably in game(s) that have been shipped.
- Understand and can design (with support) a few AI systems as for example: combat directors, spawn directors, simulation loops, AI assistant, decision making systems, target selection systems, etc.
- Know your way with AI tools and systems inside any modern game engine, such as Unreal, Frostbite, Snowdrop, CryEngine, Dawn etc.
- Can work in an international environment and express yourself fluently in English.
- Have experience from leading teams and a passion for AI in games.
Apply to make it yours
Making good games takes effort, making great games takes a different type of thinking.
Are you a game designer, artist or engineer? Cool. How about a chemist, economist or social scientist? Let’s talk. At Ubisoft Stockholm, we feel different thinking comes from many places and that good ideas, no matter where they come from, are the key to unlocking our potential.
Located in the storied Östermalm neighborhood in Stockholm Sweden, we believe thinking of new ways to solve old problems is a cornerstone of innovation and we are looking for passionate people who follow their dreams to make the world a better place.
We know there is a better way to making great games.