Looking for your next gig in esports PR, and you are London-based? You’ve come to the right place.
Gaming and Entertainment have changed. Being part of a digital-first, gamer generation isn’t just a hobby you choose - it’s the sports you support, the clothes you wear, the entertainment you watch, and the culture you live and breathe. At The Story Mob we know that Hollywood’s biggest competitor isn’t the next blockbuster movie, but a AAA game franchise release. As a communications consultancy for gaming culture, grounded in esports and competitive gaming, we understand the power of an esports hero onstage in front of millions or a superstar streamer who becomes a style icon. We craft messages that speak to a generation who don’t just play games - they live them. We can help you reach them.
We have teams in LA, Amsterdam, Berlin, and London - and our clients span the globe. For this role, we are looking to hire a senior leader in London, who will take ownership of our esports/gaming vertical. You will be responsible for servicing existing clients, and developing new accounts, which will further elevate our position as the go-to global communications consultancy for gaming culture.
We’re a hungry and ambitious company, where each team member wears a lot of hats and the ceiling for growth is sky-high. Our culture is open-minded, fast, and flexible where great ideas and individual success are celebrated. If you’re based in London, and an existing comms pro looking to use your strategic insight and contacts across multiple brands in the market, this could be a great opportunity for you.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Gaming and esports culture thought leadership
- Be a senior counsel on existing and new esports and gaming-related accounts, leading the strategy development and supporting the team with tactical implementation of it
- Lead the development of all esports/gaming-related new business opportunities and leads, from the first potential client call to the final contract stage
- Be actively on the lookout for opportunities at the intersection of esports/gaming and other industries, keeping a keen eye on new developments in the space and finding ways to give them a good home at the Mob
Media liaison and outreach
- Taking on a leadership role working across a cross-section of existing clients (teams, brands, and organizers) to craft and share compelling stories through third-party media
- Working directly with clients on upcoming announcements, evergreen stories and trend pieces that help them reach their storytelling goals
- Becoming a resident expert on the kind of stories, angles and assets that will help media in the space to deliver well-researched and authentic stories about our esports universe
- Prepping and coaching spokespeople before media opportunities (and giving honest feedback afterwards!)
- Managing coordinators who work with you on the account, driving the team to success
Creative brainstorming and storytelling
- Working with clients to offer timely, effective counsel on storytelling through owned and earned channels
- Helping to create long-term strategies for how teams and brands can work towards bigger communication goals - and how each piece fits into that plan
- Working with leaders in the esports space on their executive positioning and thought leadership strategies
Strategic communication planning
- Working with clients to develop communication plans that help them meet their business and communications objectives - whether it’s brand awareness or fan loyalty
- Advising clients on communication best practices
- Working alongside the EMEA leads on new business, including sourcing potential leads, attending industry events, designing pitches and seeing new client proposals through till the end
- Light admin work that comes from your own clients, i.e. working with our accounting team on invoicing, and our legal team on contracts
- Teaching by example. Training and mentoring junior team members towards their own career goals
You’re a connector
We are looking for natural storytellers who have a history of working with media. You’ll catch our attention if you have experience working within competitive gaming, know and understand the esports industry well, and have been to a couple of events where you’ve experienced the sheer passion only an esports crowd can have. At those events, you’ve met plenty of stakeholders from across the industry, and you know who to call to get stuff done. You understand how great comms make the world go round. We’re looking for a senior pro who’s as comfortable media training athletes and spokespeople as they are brainstorming storylines and big picture strategies.
This isn’t your first rodeo
This is a senior role that requires around 5-7 years of PR or media experience, and you have the journalist connections and strategic know-how to prove it. You’ve worked consistently with media during your career and are equally at home developing a 12-month communications plan and presenting it to clients. And then pivoting seamlessly, because you understand things can – and often will – change at the very last minute.
You want to go beyond the traditional media relations churn.
Gaming, and esports in particular, isn’t the place for ‘throw as much spaghetti at the wall as you can’– not when it comes to media relations and not when it comes to how we work with our clients. We’re looking for pros who will build a relationship with all of their stakeholders and figure out the best way to work with each and every one of them. Just like you aren’t seeking out column inches at any cost, you aren’t a PR waitress that delivers without context and counsel.
You have a deep understanding of and passion for gaming culture
Whether you’re a communications pro looking for a switch (not counting the one you turn on during a long flight), or an esports/gaming veteran with a passion for PR and storytelling, we’d be excited to talk to you. In turn, you must be excited to get your hands dirty, sit front row at some badass esports events, and immerse yourself in our world completely.
You are independent, embrace the startup life and understand your role in helping us grow
We work from three different countries and across even more timezones. We need someone who is based in London, but we don’t require you to be here 24/7. You want to spend winters in South East Asia? We love that. As long as you meet your deadlines and do excellent work, we want you to be fulfilled in work and in life.
At 14 Mobsters globally and in our 4th year in business, we’ve passed the “official” start-up stage and the world is looking at us as a medium-sized agency with serious muscle to flex. While plenty of processes are established and working well, we’re still fine-tuning other things. You understand that you might be asked to jump into things that might not be at the very core of your job but are helping the business grow and thrive.
- Competitive salary and bonus schemes, fitting your experience and skill set with bi-annual checks and reviews
- Annucal personal development budget to spend on whatever makes you a better comms pro
- The right hardware that works the way you prefer
- Unlimited PTO for a sane and balanced approach to work and life
- Collaborative approach to building teams that support you and the kind of work you want to go after
- Mentorship and support from some of the most experienced minds in the space and the opportunity to work on leading brands in gaming