Are you a seasoned comms pro eager to make a mark in gaming? Looking to take your love of competition to the next level? Come join us!
The Story Mob is the world’s leading communications consultancy focused on gaming culture, competitive esports and digital entertainment. We work with brands, teams and publishers to shape meaningful communications and to have authentic conversations with gaming fans. This is the most exciting and fastest-growing culture in the world - and communications are helping shape the future of it.
We’re headquartered in LA, with teams in LA and across Europe - and our clients span the globe. For this position, we are looking specifically for someone based in Los Angeles to help us manage our existing projects and clients across gaming and digital culture - and in time develop your network and bring in new projects of your own.
We’re a hungry and ambitious company, where each team member wears a lot of hats and the ceiling for growth is sky-high. Our culture is open-minded, fast and flexible where great ideas are celebrated and you’re free to execute them and learn new skills.
If you’re based in LA (or hoping to move when travel is a thing again) and an existing comms pro looking to use your strategic know-how and contacts across brands, organizations and talent in the market, this could be a great opportunity to join the world’s first group of gaming-focused communication leaders.
Here’s what you’ll be doing
Strategic communication planning
- Develop and manage communication plans in support of clients’ business and communications objectives and priorities
- Create and implement unique strategies, ranging from immediate launches to seasonal and long-term campaigns
- Serve as day-to-day lead across multiple accounts - addressing and facilitating day-to-day client interactions/overarching needs
- Provide clients with expert counsel around industry trends, communication best practices and emerging platforms
- Work closely with client partners and vendors to elevate narratives around respective activities and engagements
- Produce, present and implement creative concepts and storytelling platforms that help drive client priorities
- These include storylines, pitches and activations suitable for various, critical client channels
- Work with client leadership across the entertainment, sport and gaming verticals to develop and oversee executive positioning and thought leadership strategies
- Work directly with clients on all upcoming announcements, trend pieces and evergreen stories that help them reach their communications goals
- Become a resident expert on the stories, angles and assets that help media in the space produce well-researched and authentic coverage about our client portfolio
- Prepare and advise key spokespeople before and after media interviews and speaking engagements
- Oversee working teams across respective client campaigns and projects
- Directly manage coordinators, strategists and associate directors across all professional development and business and client-related matters
- Hold weekly/regular 1:1 touch bases, in addition to bi-annual review and ongoing goal-setting sessions with direct reports
- Support, train, mentor and actively collaborate with all junior team members, helping them deliver good work and accomplish set career goals
- Promote execution of employee enrichment program, furthering company culture
- Help identify and manage new business opportunities from start to finish
- Facilitate expansion of Story Mob specialties and practice areas
- Pursue networking opportunities with prospective clients and partners, including industry events, programming and collaborations
- Assist leadership and social team with agency and content marketing initiatives, with an aim on elevating the Story Mob as an industry leader and expanding the company’s new business pipeline
- Represent the Mob on vetting calls with new business prospects
- Speak publicly on behalf of the Mob as needed/desired on networking panels, interviews and more as identified and approved with manager
- Help manage light admin work that results from client activities
- Lead internal discussions, meetings and brainstorm sessions
You’re a connector
We’re looking for natural storytellers who have a history of working with media. You’ll catch our attention if you have experience working within competitive gaming - but being a passionate gamer is also a big plus. You understand how great comms make the world go round. We’re looking for a senior pro who’s as comfortable media training athletes and spokespeople as they are brainstorming storylines and big picture strategies.
This isn’t your first rodeo
This is a senior role that requires around 7-9 years of PR or media experience, and you have the journalist connections and strategic know-how to prove it. You’ve worked consistently with media during your career and are equally at home developing a 12-month communications plan and presenting it to clients.
You want to go beyond the traditional media relations churn
Gaming isn’t the place for ‘throw as much spaghetti at the wall as you can’ pitching. We’re looking for pros who will build a relationship with the media and understand when they’re the best channel to achieve the goal - not just seek out column inches at any cost.
You have a passion for or are willing to become interested in competitive gaming and entertainment
Whether you’re a communications pro looking for a switch (not counting the one you turn on during a long flight), or an esports/gaming veteran with passion for PR and storytelling, we’d be excited to talk to you. In turn, you must be excited to get your hands dirty, sit front row at some badass esports events, and immerse yourself in our world completely.
- Competitive salary, fitting your experience and skill set with bi-annual checks and reviews
- Personal development budget
- The right hardware that works the way you prefer
- Unlimited PTO for a sane and balanced approach to work and life
- Collaborative approach to building teams that support you and the kind of work you want to go after
- Mentorship and support from some of the most experienced minds in the space and the opportunity to work on leading brands in gaming